Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

FIRST J094226.2+480349 infrared counterpart

• Chris188 by Chris188

I have found this interesting object. It is an faint infrared source (WISE J094228.12+480348.6) and I checked in VizieR: http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR
    It is not optical counterpart, only infrared. Coordinates: 09 42 28.126 +48 03 48.70
    I have found this object in 5C5 Survey of Radio Sources catalog (Pearson, 1975): 5C5.116 This is an old radio source.

New or unknown infrared source? What is this? Distant quasar or other object?

Posted

• Chris188 by Chris188

WISE J094228.12+480348

Posted

• Chris188 by Chris188

This #infrared counterpart not found in NED

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Welcome to RGZ, Chris 188!

You're right, there is no optical (SDSS) object which could be the host of this nice #double. And the faint WISE source, WISE J094228.12+480348, does seem to be the host. I normally add the hashtags #nooptical and #faintIR for sources (hosts) like this.

In my experience, these are fairly common in RGZ.

Considerably rarer are FIRST sources which seem to have neither SDSS nor WISE hosts; these are #IFRS (infrared-faint radio sources), and are - again in my experience - mostly #compact (i.e. no lobes). Very occasionally you may come across a radio source which seems to have an SDSS host but not a WISE one. Likewise, a #double, #hourglass, or even #triple with no apparent SDSS or WISE host. These are definitely worth calling attention to!

If there is no apparent SDSS host (and in perhaps most cases where there is one), then the ultimate source of the radio is an AGN (active galactic nucleus), many of which are QSO (quasi-stellar objects) and possibly quasars (quasi-stellar radio source), though these last two terms are often used interchangeably. It used to be that there was a clear luminosity (brightness) threshold for an AGN to be called a QSO (all QSOs are AGNs), but these days its a bit fuzzy ... different surveys use different definitions.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• Chris188 by Chris188

Very thanks your helpful response.

Posted