Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Paper: Spiral with jets discovery by Bagchi et al.

• zutopian by zutopian

Copy from the topic "Hourglass sources associated with spiral galaxies" *:

Post by me on page 2:

New paper:

Mega parsec relativistic jets launched from an accreting supermassive blackhole in an extreme spiral galaxy

Here we present the discovery of giant radio source J2345-0449 (z=0.0755), a clear and extremely rare counter example where relativistic jets are ejected from a luminous and massive spiral galaxy on scale of ~1.6 Mpc, the largest known so far.

Joydeep Bagchi, Vivek M., Vinu Vikram, Ananda Hota, Biju K.G., S. K. Sirothia, Raghunathan Srianand, Gopal-Krishna, Joe Jacob
    (Submitted on 28 Apr 2014 (v1), last revised 29 Apr 2014 (this version, v2))
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.6889

Is a Radio Zoo image of the galaxy available?

In the paper there is shown an SDSS image and the coordinates are given as follows.:
    "the nucleus of the spiral galaxy at right ascension: 23h 45m 32.71s, declination: −04◦ 49′ 25.32′′ (J2000)"

Here is the SDSS link.:
    http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr10/en/tools/explore/summary.aspx?id=1237680117958246500

Reply by WizardHowl :

I don't know how to get the RGZ number but if you go to http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/query.pl and give it the co-ordinates you'll see that FIRST only shows emission very close to the galaxy, perhaps only the AGN, but that NVSS clearly shows long lobes.

*link: http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000003/discussions/DRG00000rz

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Here is the 1st SkyView image.: Survey for contours: FIRST :

enter image description here

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Here is the 2nd SkyView image.: Survey for contours: NVSS :

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Questions:

• Why do the contours on both images look different ?

• On the 2nd image the spiral galaxy isn't located between the two lobes! Are the lobes really associated with the spiral galaxy ?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

These are good questions, zutopian! 😃

You asked about this galaxy/radio system in the GZ forum thread (here), and I have it on my list of things to do, to create a composite image (but it's still there, on the list 😦).

Why do the contours on both images look different ?

Largely because the resolution of FIRST is very different from that of NVSS. An analogy might be like looking at a patch of the Milky Way through an amateur astronomer's telescope (FIRST) compared with just your eyes (NVSS) (there's a sensitivity difference, of course, but ignore that): through the telescope you see lots of individual stars; with your unaided vision, you see a milky glow (and no stars).

On the 2nd image the spiral galaxy isn't located between the two lobes! Are the lobes really associated with the spiral galaxy ?

For this galaxy, the lobes are huge, spanning a distance (on the sky) far larger than the size of the image. There are some nice images in the Bagchi+ 2014 paper, but it takes a while for the huge scale of this system to sink in. In fact, if we had discovered this here in RGZ - and I'm not sure we could have, the system is simply too big - it would likely rank as one of the biggest in the Finding the Giants (NVSS) thread.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Thanks for your replies, Jean ! 😃
    I am looking forward to see the composite image, which you are going to create !

Friendly reminder @ the scientists.:
    Please post the ID of the corresponding Radio Zoo image ! Well, I guess, that it is available.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I created a further image, where the complete lobes are visible. And there seems to be a 3rd lobe!!!

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I created an image, where the complete 3rd lobe is visible. Is the 3rd lobe associated with the other 2 lobes or with another object?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

Well done! 😄

The paper says the lobe structure is double-double ... so you've got one more lobe to find still 😉 Also, the further N lobe has a rather complex structure ...

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

On below image, where the contours are smoother, it looks like 4 lobes !!!! Besides there are some rings visible (look like compact sources) !

Posted