Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Graduate Research Survey: Demographics of Zooniverse Space Science Projects

• citsciresearch by citsciresearch

I am a master's student conducting research on the demographics, participation habits, and overall science involvement of participants in Zooniverse's various space-related citizen science projects. Citizen science empowers research to process far greater amounts of data than would otherwise be possible. It has the potential to grow and become a more commonly used asset in the space sciences. I hope to explore further applications of citizen science projects, so having information about those who are currently involved in these projects will help to show where and how they can best be used. I have created a survey accessible at the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15kyqF_wFag9CDn6SZlMnSXexf0ok6H52GMIFMWOO1Vg/viewform It will take no more than 15 minutes. Please share the link with any other Zooniverse volunteers you might know. Your time and responses are greatly appreciated.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to citsciresearch's comment.

Welcome to RGZ Talk, citsciresearch! 😃

I'm all for this kind of thing, but also keen to make sure it's done properly.

May I ask, who are you? What academic institution are you affiliated with? Has this project been approved by an IRB (or equivalent)? If so, how could any zooite contact that body (or your supervisor)? What do you intend to do with the results; for example, where will you publish them?

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

A note to zooites: We have reached out to Brittany ( @citsciresearch ) to learn a bit more about what she's doing. We'll let you know once we get a few more things established!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

@DZM: any update?

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team in response to JeanTate's comment.

Hi Jean, we ended up suggesting to Brittany that she should come back to these threads and post a more in-depth explanation of what she's doing, where she's from, and her research goals.

We haven't heard from her since, but it's her move!

Posted

Thanks to the Zooniverse team and everyone who has responded so far! I am a master's student at GWU and this survey has passed IRB approval through the university. To summarize, I'm particularly interested in determining whether technology use trends would suggest citizen science efforts be expanded to mobile apps in addition to browser games, but I am investigating several aspects of citizen science and how we can use it more frequently and effectively in space sciences. I'd also like to note that I've slightly updated the wording to take into account non-US respondents. I am also still looking for responses, so if you have a moment and haven't yet taken the survey, I'd really appreciate it. I plan on dropping back with the finished research once this is done. This is an independent study as part of my coursework so publication is a possibility but not definite.

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

We have no objections to anyone who wants to do so filing out the survey. 😃

Posted

Thank you everyone who responded! The article containing this research has been published and you can read it here.

Posted