Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

1,000,000 Classifications!

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

If you didn't already see this on the Daily Zooniverse, yes, it's official...

Radio Galaxy Zoo has passed 1,000,000 classifications!!! (Actually 1,007,839 as I write. Looks like it happened on Friday night, and we've had a good influx of weekend classifications as well.)

Congrats to everyone here! You guys are fantastic; way to go!

On to 2,000,000? 😄

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Cool! 😃

So, 10^6 classifications in ~a year; will we reach 2x10^6 classifications before February, 2016?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Fingers crossed 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team in response to JeanTate's comment.

Let's hope! We won't have that "new-project surge" for Year Two, but hopefully we'll get our Zoo-wide project-promo emails back up and running soon. 😃

Keep being awesome!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

If RGZ resembles some early versions of GZ (and SpaceWarps, and ...), there are some events which may produce surges which can rival "new project" ones. For example:

• prime time in a science program on TV, as we saw with SpaceWarps and the BBC
    • 'appearing' in the "I fucking love science" blog, as happened to the Andromeda Project
    • when a really cool serendipitous discovery is announced, recall Hanny's Voorwerp

Posted

Well I think once the science papers start getting published, that usually puts things into perspective too 😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

We're also hoping to have Zooniverse-wide promo emails back up and running fairly soon!

We're committed to not abusing them, but two a month or so to highlight worthy projects that need classifiers shouldn't run amiss?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Before promoting RGZ much, may I suggest that the ATLAS/SWIRE images (fields) be explained better?

For example, that the radio 'shapes' are quite different (ATLAS ones are much longer in the 'vertical' direction than the 'horizontal' one; FIRST are ~the same); and that the contour spacing is quite different. Also, why all ATLAS/SWIRE fields have no SDSS (are outside the footprint) and no FIRST (ditto). Perhaps deactivate those two links for ATLAS/SWIRE fields?

Just my 2cents ...

Posted

Hi @DZM, Thank you very much for your enthusiasm! I am sure that the science team will be excited to contribute to your emails so please let us know when you are ready 😃

@JeanTate: Thank you very much for your suggestion. We are on this very issue at the moment so stay tuned 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks a bunch, Ivy.

How long should we stay tuned on the issue Jean mentioned before we ask about it again? 😃

(I just noticed that I posted twice about the promo emails in this thread. Whoops. :p)

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

Oops ... A topic I can't resist. 😉

Some up to date "Radio Galaxy Zoo" (RG) data:
    (data date: 2016-06-09, 08:40 UTC.)

• classification_count: 1,692,221
    • complete_count: 107,681
    • With 107,681 being 60.68% of 177,462 (If I'm correct on that total RG set's count.)
    • user_count: 9,825

In de data I used there are also two other classification count numbers, witch I can't classify. Other than with a presumption that those are probably old-beta-stage classification counts. Whether these count are included (or not) in the main classification count is also unknown to me.

1. 35.989 and 2) 364.384

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to MvGulik's comment.

Cool 😃

Thanks for sharing this.

Posted

Yes, I can confirm that we are around the 60% mark. I'm not sure what the other 2 numbers are either...

Posted