Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Suggestion on how to speed up RGZ

• JeanTate by JeanTate

For all I know, this may already be how RGZ is working ... but in case it's not.

If an ARG field contains just a single FIRST source (by design it would be in the center of the field), and if there's a WISE source within 3", then either remove these from the Subjects (ARG fields offered to us to be classified), or retire it after just one classification. An example of such a field below.

Why?

Because we zooites are adding nothing to what a machine can already do, and asking us to classify such fields is a waste of our time, and delays the day when RGZ is complete.

Permitting a handful - up to 10%? - of such fields to be classified, by at most five zooites, could serve as a good control measure ... but I'm pretty sure there's more than enough classification data already collected to serve this purpose.

One possible caveat: if the sole FIRST source is anything but compact, it may be valuable to get our clicks. This would be easily incorporated into the decision pipeline, because "resolved" is already measured (see the first RGZ paper), and a 'resolved size' threshold easy to set.

Here's an example of the kind of field I'm talking about, ARG00014d6:

enter image description here enter image description here

I estimate, based on my own recent classification history, that this would remove ~10% of the Subjects currently being offered. That might seem like a small gain, but it would probably bring the date when RGZ is complete forward by at least a month or two, which I think is well worth having.

What do you think?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks @JeanTate for your suggestion. A few months ago, Julie and Kyle were discussing the reality of a smarter queue which does a similar thing to what you suggest. But one of the issues we face is that RGZ is on the old Zooniverse architecture that is not as flexible as the new Panoptes that the new projects are on so here we are. This issue is common to many projects and so I am hoping to bring this up with the Zooniverse heads when I see them at some point within the next year or so. 😃

Posted