Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Anyone interested in a "RGZ journal club"?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

One of the fun things which students and scientists at university get to do is sit down and discuss a hot-off-the-press paper or conference presentation, over coffee, in a 'journal club'*.

Is anyone interested in forming such a club, here in RGZ, to discuss a paper or two directly relevant to what we do, and what we are finding?

I know papers have been mentioned, quite a few times, by several different RGZ scientists (arXiv:1101.3223 FRII radio galaxies in the SDSS: Observational facts, Koziel-Wierzbowska, mentioned by ordinary zooite c_cld, Radio Continuum Jet in NGC 7479, mentioned by ivywong, Resolving the Radio Source Background: Deeper Understanding Through Confusion, by enno.middelberg, to give a random selection) - and Kyle Willett started a thread on one (Recent science paper: Bent-Tailed Radio Sources In The Australia Telescope Large Area Survey Of The Chandra Deep Field-South) - but they've been scattered. What I'm proposing is a new section (board), specifically called "RGZ Journal Club" (or something similar), in which there's discussions of papers only.

If it would help, I've got a couple of suggestions, from among the papers mentioned already, to get the ball rolling (once a separate section is set up) ...

*At least, that's what I gather happens

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

I'm happy to pop in from time to time to participate too 😃

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to ivywong's comment.

I second that.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks ivywong, 42jkb! 😃

What I'm actually asking is, does anyone else think it a good idea to set up a separate section/board, called "RGZ Journal Club" (or some similar name)?

As there's already a thread on a paper - the one KWillett started, Recent science paper: Bent-Tailed Radio Sources In The Australia Telescope Large Area Survey Of The Chandra Deep Field-South - perhaps that could be moved to the new RGZ Journal Club board, to get things started?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

I'll send a note to the people in charge of Talk to create the board and move the one KWillett started to there.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I just would like to mention following astrobites article.:

The Changing Faces of Active Galactic Nuclei
    By Becky Smethurst â‹… December 19, 2013
    Title of the presented paper: Tracing the Evolution of Active Galactic Nuclei Host Galaxies Over the Last 9 Gyrs of Cosmic Time
    Authors: A. D. Goulding, W.R. Forman, R.C. Hixkox et al.

With these conclusions laid bare, this suggests another mechanism is necessary to explain the quenching of star formation in order to account for galactic evolution across the colour-magnitude diagram with cosmic time*.
    '*Want to help answer the outstanding questions? Get involved with Radio Galaxy Zoo!

http://astrobites.org/2013/12/19/the-changing-faces-of-active-galactic-nuclei/

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Cool! 😃

And it's great to have zutopian's nomination! 😄

Once the RGZ Journal Club (surely we can think of a better name!) is set up, there'll be separate threads for each paper we discuss, right?

Also, would you - and/or any other RGZ scientist (or any other astronomer lurking here) - mind writing a kind of intro, an informal summary of what journal clubs are like (or at least the ones you've participated in)?

Here's an even more radical idea: if a keen zooite lives near a university (or other research institution) which has a (radio) astronomy journal club, do you think the club might be willing to have such a zooite come join, at least once, just to see what it's like?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

There is a new section under Science on the Discussion board specifically for the journal club. http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000009 Sorry it is just called "Journal Club" as that is what we call them.

The paper suggestion by Kyle has been moved there.

I'll write an intro page for the board to give an idea of how one proceeds with this.

As for going to a journal club at a Uni, may be best to start at one where there is already a Zooniverse scientist at that institution.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thanks! 😄

Posted