Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Radio Galaxy Zoo approaching 1 million!

• JeanTate by JeanTate

That's the title of the November 22, 2014 Daily Zooniverse.

Here's the full text, and the image:

enter image description here

The Radio Galaxy Zoo project recently passed 900,000 classifications and I wonโ€™t be long until it reaches that huge 1 million mark! This number means that over one quarter of the images have now been fully classified by our amazing volunteers, so there is still plenty of work left to be done.

Get involved in the effort now at radio.galaxyzoo.org

With the help of some tracing paper (old school, I know), I find that the blue ("complete") is 26%; not bad! Assuming exactly 27%, 47,202 "subjects" are complete. Also, ~12% are "active", or ~21,000.

And what's the ~0% (all I can really say is that it's <1%, but not exactly 0%) which is "disabled"?

Now, if I were to use a typical image processing app, how much more precisely (accurately? I don't think so) could I measure the breakdown (assuming the annulus is 100% accurate)?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks heaps @JeanTate. We are currently organising a surprise activity closer to our "birthday" so please stay tuned ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Cool!

In the meantime, what are "disabled" objects?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

I don't think we have any disabled objects but perhaps it's more relevant to other Zoo projects.... I'll ask around.

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

I would think that "disabled" probably refers to objects that are removed from classification for reasons besides their having been successfully classified... there might be a few reasons why that would happen. Even if it did, though, it'd probably only be a very tiny fraction of objects.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks ivywong, DZM. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I find it a bit, um, disconcerting that neither of you actually knows what the term refers to! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ It's in an infographic in the Daily Zooniverse (so it presumably comes from an impeccible source), a pie chart no less. And it's about RGZ. So if it's irrelevant to RGZ, why is it in the chart? And if it's actually relevant, why is 'a new one' for you both?

@DZM: you write "it'd probably only be a very tiny fraction of objects". This causes me to get chills, and not of the good kind. You know, probably better than most, about 'dups/repeats', about how - in some Zooniverse projects - everyone on the Dev/Science/Mod teams were in denial for so long that they even existed (and if existed, were a trivially tiny fraction). Yet, in at least one project (Quench), after being pestered (?) for quite a while, when someone actually looked into the issue, it was discovered that the incidence of dups/repeats were anything but trivial. That being said, I look forward to hearing all about "disabled" objects; perhaps I can get a wheelchair for them! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

Quench is a project from before my time. Even in the two months since I've joined the team, we've continually looked into repeats wherever they were reported and updated many databases to fix them even when we did find that they were just tiny fractions of the overall data. One of the reasons that I'm here is to be able to much more quickly respond to users' concerns!

I've looked into what's up with the "disabled subjects" here in RGZ. It looks like a group of 180 subjects (about 1 out of every 1,000, or 0.1%) was retired because their data turned out corrupted somehow, and wouldn't be any good to the project. Hopefully this eases your chills. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

Thanks DZM.

One of the reasons that I'm here is to be able to much more quickly respond to users' concerns!

And you're doing a great job; things have improved greatly in this regard. ๐Ÿ˜„

Hopefully this eases your chills. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yes, they've mellowed some. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted