Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

It's a small world

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In the August edition of Scientific American, there's an article entitled "The Emptiest Place in Space". It's about a supervoid that may have been discovered in the same direction as the famous CMB 'cold spot'.

Imagine my surprise on reading "In 2007, Lawrence Rudnick of the ... were looking at the [NVSS] catalog ..."! 😮

RGZ's very own Lawrence Rudnick! 😄

Small world indeed ...

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I couldn't read the article, because it isn't available for free! What is the title of the paper? Who are the authors of the paper?
    Is the article about below paper?:

Cosmic troublemakers: the Cold Spot, the Eridanus Supervoid, and the Great Walls
    András Kovács, Juan García-Bellido

The alignment of the CMB Cold Spot and the Eridanus supervoid suggests a physical connection between these two relatively rare objects. (...)
    The expected integrated Sachs-Wolfe imprint of such an elongated supervoid is at the "..." level, thus inappropriate to accounting for the Cold Spot pattern in the CMB.

(Submitted on 29 Nov 2015 (v1), last revised 18 Jul 2016 (this version, v3))
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.09008

In the References there is listed a paper by Rudnick et al. ("Extragalactic Radio Sources and the WMAP Cold Spot")!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

Scientific American (SA) is a monthly pop-sci magazine, albeit a rather high-quality one. Here's its website.

I don't know how easily it is to get hold of the articles in any particular issue (I subscribe to the "dead trees" version).

The author of the SA article "The Emptiest Place in Space" is István Szapudi. He mentions András Kovács: "I started working with then graduate student András Kovács ..."

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

There is below paper, where the author of the SA article István Szapudi is the 1st author and András Kovács is one of the co-authors.:

Detection of a Supervoid Aligned with the Cold Spot of the Cosmic Microwave Background
    István Szapudi, András Kovács, Benjamin R. Granett, Zsolt Frei, Joseph Silk, Will Burgett, Shaun Cole, Peter W. Draper, Daniel J. Farrow, Nicholas Kaiser, Eugene A. Magnier, Nigel Metcalfe, Jeffrey S. Morgan, Paul Price, John Tonry, Richard Wainscoat
    (Submitted on 7 May 2014 (v1), last revised 5 Mar 2015 (this version, v2))
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.1566

Press Release:
    http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/press-releases/ColdSpot/

The paper was published last year (April 2015)! Curiously, the 1st author of the paper István Szapudi wrote an article for the AUGUST edition of the Scientific American Magazine! It is even the cover story! It seems strange, because it isn't a new discovery! Well, I couldn't read the article (paywall), as mentioned before. So there might be a good reason to present this "old" discovery!
    As I informed in my previous post, there is another paper.: The 1st author is András Kovács! However, István Szapudi isn't a co-author! It was published on 20 July 2016.

Posted