Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Stephen Hawking 1942 - 2018

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

Today a great man passed away a brilliant mind will be missed in a community trying to unravel the secrets of the Universe.
    Inspired many to follow even in the smallest way possible. Being a volunteer I would like to hail this precious, powerful mind.
    Fragile in body he deserves to be remembered especially here on RGZ! A genius in quantum mechanics as in other fields.
    As a community I do hope we will take a little time to stop and give this man a minute of silent thoughts as a tribute for what he stood for. Isn't that what its all about? To find kinship in a divided world trying to search with respect for each other the known as the unknown. Today we received a legacy!

Leonie

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

Beautiful words Leonie, thanks.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Hear, hear.

I've read many Stephen Hawking obituaries, and they all contain some good stuff. One - by Nathan Myhrvold - contains this gem:

Stephen never had much patience with such formalities. While I was working with him, an invitation came in to an elite workshop on supergravity, a theory that was hot at the time. The invitation specified that only one person per research group could attend; Stephen recommended a graduate student in the department who was working directly in this area. The organizers bristled and reiterated that they expected just the most senior person in the group to come. Stephen sent the student anyway, along with a note: "I'm sorry you do not have room for me to attend as well."

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

How typical of his great sense of humor, Jean!

Posted