Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Radio lobes evident -- system doesn't allow clicking them separately

• joconnell by joconnell

Hi, there appears to be a radio+IR source here displaying lobes in the radio image, but the interactive system is not allowing me to individually click on each lobe -- I can click one lobe okay but clicking on the other lobe deselects the first clicking action ie a (probable?) lobe pair is being treated as one single source region .
    NB the radio lobes (such as they are) do not extend very far out from the centre of the (relatively large) IR emitting region.

I would welcome advice or opinion 😃

Regards,
    John.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Well, there isn't really a reason to individually select the lobes, as usually lobe pairs such as this both have the same infrared source, and anyways: the amount of extra effort for selecting the lobes by contour line, as your idea would suggest, would be too much effort for zooites interested in simply making quick and easy classifications.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

Hi John, The radio sources seem to be attached so when you select one you should be selected both. However, this appears to not be the case here. These two lobes go with the central IR source. Have you had this happen to other sources? Or just this one so far? Could be something to do with the way the contours are generated. I will let the designer know.

Thank you for pointing this out. Hope you are enjoying the project thus far!

Posted

@planetaryscience, I do not understand your statement about not individually selecting the lobes. Both lobes in this case belong to the same infrared galaxy so both lobes should be selected when identifying the radio source.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Then I did a bad job of explaining what I was saying, because that's exactly what I was trying to say. 😛

Posted

• joconnell by joconnell

Yes, I think my issue is simply that if the lobes do not have a significant angular separation (whether through being absolutely short or being aligned close to the line of sight), then the contours generated (here and in a small number of other cases in my short experience so far) will be presented by the system as one clickable object whereas a human might sometimes be prepared to label the lobes individually and so flag this as a relatively distinct pair of lobes rather than a single somehow-complicated radio source.

Naturally the limit (of distinguishing two separate lobes) will be different for the machine-generated contours versus a human opinion --- the essence of why the project is needed of course 😃 -- and so if the designer finds something useful based on this example, then that would be great.

In any case the project is certainly very enjoyable so far!!

Posted

Agreed. We were trying to figure out the best way of displaying the contours and knew that this was going to be an issue. We are still brain-storming how to deal with this either with the generation of contours or in processing everyones classifications.

Glad you are enjoying the project!

Posted