Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0000fyl - double lobe after all?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There's a teensy weensy radio source that might be the second (fainter) counterpart lobe to the main radio source; the shape of that main source suggests the faint IR source - which I did not mark - may be the core.

In cases like this, is it better to be conservative (as I was, solo radio, no IR)? or speculative (double lobe with faint IR core)?

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Good catch here -- click on NVSS in these cases to see what's going on. You will see that there's a very nice second component associated with the tiny FIRST component. FIRST just has too high resolution for this source, and the NVSS component disappears. This looks to me like a double source with #noinfrared.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

Thanks.

I'm going to have to find the thread(s)/post(s) which give the scales of the FIRST and NVSS images, and write them down/whatever (for SDSS and WISE I have no trouble reading the scale and/or re-sizing, and I know the RGZ images are 3'x3'). It helps - enormously - that the images, when you click on the links, come up centered on the same (RA, Dec) location as the RGZ image (±a pixel or three, presumably). 😃

I infer from what you've written that posting questions and analyses like this is useful, or helpful; would you mind saying a few words about how you - and the other members of the Science Team - plan to collect and use these sorts of posts? And how that might/will complement the upto 140 character comments, the hashtags, and the 'click data'?

Posted