Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Bent Images.

• Jacko99 by Jacko99

Hi. I don't know if this has been asked before, sorry if it has, I was wondering about the Bent images. Is it possible that some of these bent images could be as a result of a lensing effect, where the original image has been bent by an intervening mass. If so, could it be that there is a chance that we might come across other lensing effects such as a Einstein Cross. Hope that this question makes some sort of sense
    Jacko99.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Jacko99's comment.

It makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately it's extremely unlikely anything like that - which we seen in RGZ - will be a lens.

The vast majority of lenses are ~5" or smaller, because the total mass of the lens is, while huge, not so large as to produce images of background objects much further than that apart. (of course, there are some lenses bigger, but they are exceedingly rare).

However, the resolution of both the radio (FIRST) and infrared (WISE) images is ~5", meaning that anything smaller than about 5" in size will appear as a formless circle. Sadly, that includes lenses ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Also, I wrote about this topic more extensively in this thread.

Hope this help.

Posted

• Jacko99 by Jacko99 in response to JeanTate's comment.

Thanks Jean, Very helpful.
    Jacko99.

Posted