Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

two? radio sources and a huge infrared source

• RookOrKnight by RookOrKnight

I was interpreting this as two separate radio sources, and guessed that I should indicate the upper as having no infrared source. Should I have classified this image differently? (Also, is there a better way to ask for this sort of feedback?)

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to RookOrKnight's comment.

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the "should" part of your first question (myself, if that's what you see, that's what you say!)

IMHO, the answer to your second is "no, this is about as good a way to ask for feedback as it gets"

Turning to the radio sources: if the exact position (RA, Dec) of the centroid of the upper source could be determined, we'd likely know if this pair is more likely a #doublelobe than a core+single lobe. In either case, the AGN powering them both is likely SDSS J165904.11+274133.9, which has a photometric redshift of ~0.43, and could very well be the BCG (brightest cluster galaxy) of the rich cluster in the field.

Here's the SDSS image, centered on that galaxy, and with a scale about the same as that of the RGZ image:

enter image description here

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

@RookorKnight, yes, you "should" have done just what you did. Unfortunately, in this case, we would have been better off showing you the SDSS first. @JeanTate is likely correct. The galaxy above the bright star in SDSS (and the very bright blob in IR) is likely the host galaxy and the proper ID for this double. But there's no way anyone could have done this with the WISE image we gave you. This is part of our research challenge, figuring out when we're stuck in this situation. Thanks for your contributions!

Posted