Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

question about what im looking at...

• CMATZIN by CMATZIN

When viewing the image in radio you can clearly see the contours/radio emissions. But when you view in infrared there is a giant ball below and to the left of the radio emissions. And you can see a very faint infrared source where the radio contours are. My question is about the big ball. What might that be? Is it a star in the foreground? Or can it be the source of the radio emissions? Any information is appreciated!

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Could be a star from the WISE image, there are hints of "diffraction spikes" those spokes going out that you see from bright objects. This is the kind of case where I'd usually go to SDSS, where there is higher resolution, (but doesn't go as faint/distant), to see what could be sorted out. So if I click on SDSS, you can see that the bright object is indeed a star, and the faint object (the ID) coincident with the radio is a very faint red object. SDSS also calls it a star, but that's unlikely. It means they weren't sure it was extended, like a galaxy should be. So, in general, if you have something faint that's centered right on the radio, pick that as the ID. Thanks for your help!

Posted

• CMATZIN by CMATZIN in response to DocR's comment.

Thank tour for the clarity. I can now be more confident in what I select. Appreciate the help!

Posted