Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Matching host to other catalog IDs... always useful? or needs to be confident match?

• joconnell by joconnell

What's the most useful thing to do in cases where the host could, with a little effort, be explicitly matched with a known object ID (say in SDSS survey, seems the easiest to interact with)?

Is this worthwhile to try on every "straightforward" case perhaps, and/or would wrong matches be a nuisance?

Treating the current one (ARG0002qma) as a test case for me getting it right: http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0002qma
    ...the host may be(?): SDSS J154525.94+140419.2

Thanks for any advice,
    John.

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

In general, you do not need to track down the known objects. We will be doing that automatically. Most useful to track down if you think the IR (WISE) image is blended, confused by multiple objects, or else something else is fishy. Or, if the source is very unusual and going to SDSS allows you to get the redshift and thus the distance and size to the source. But i would say to reserve all this for exceptional cases. Thanks for your help!

Posted

• joconnell by joconnell

Many thanks DocR, helps clarify the process and makes it fun when able to focus my little efforts in a good way.

John 😃

Posted