Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

I do not understand

• besttesla by besttesla

I just started this project and do not understand what is going on can any one help me understand what is going on

Posted

• DavidMG3D by DavidMG3D

I believe what we are trying to correlate is a radio emission with an infrared source. Very bright radio emissions
    in blue are also infrared sources in regards to location. So major bright spots in blue might be what they want us to mark as infrared sources. I hope that is correct. I looked at some of the examples and it seems like that is what the science teams are looking for.

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Hi @Tcrown1542 and @DavidMG3D,

the most important thing we want the users to do is to 1) decide if there is only one radio source composed of one or multiple (separate) radio signals, or there are a few separate sources in the image, and 2) find their infrared counterpart - in that order. You can see two images and a contour plot - all superimposed on each other. The blue image and contours are radio emission - we are showing both as it is sometimes easier to see when we have contours and sometimes when we have the intensity map (the blue image). The red-yellow image is infrared.

So in this image beside we see a central strong #compact radio source. It is just this one source here. You will see it also in blue exactly where the contours are (let's ignore the little blob north of it for the moment). Now, if you move the slider to the right, the blue radio image will disappear and the red/yellow infrared image will show up. We need to find the counterpart of the radio source, so we are looking for bright yellow/white source just underneath the contours. This is important, you want to find an infrared source that is underneath the radio contours, and not far from it. So, the other three very bright infrared sources in white (they compose sort of triangle in the image) are not to be chosen, they have nothing to do with the radio source - they are waay too far to be conntected to the radio source in the middle of the image.

You will immediately notice that there is nothing within the radio contours. And this is correct in this image! This radio source does not seem to have an infrared counterpart; we call such sources infrared faint radio sources, #ifrs (read more about them here: http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2014/01/24/ifrs-the-first-supermassive-black-holes/)

Hope this helps!

Posted