Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG000jjg - Multiple Spirals?

• sharqua by sharqua

I am seeing more than one spiral galaxy that lines up with this on SDSS. Is this multiple sources or just one?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo, sharqua!

This is a very, very cool field! 😄

It's unclear - to me - which of the several interacting galaxies in this - apparently unnamed! 😮 - tight ('compact') group is the host of the radio emission (and it's possible, I guess, for there to be more than one).

Only one has a SDSS spectroscopic redshift (of 0.189), SDSS J212804.10+041738.4, the object in the center of the image:

enter image description here

This particular galaxy seems - to me - to be more elliptical ('red and dead') than spiral, unlike most of the others ...

One possible complication: several of the faint, reddish blobs in this field may be members of a distant cluster, with z_ph >~0.4; perhaps at least some of the radio emission comes from one of them?

Happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• sharqua by sharqua

Thanks for the additional information! The universe is SUCH a beautiful place.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Just which galaxy, or galaxies, is/are the host(s)? Perhaps it (or one) is a spiral/disk galaxy, with extended radio emission?

The galaxy in the center is SDSS J212804.10+041738.4, the one big galaxy that is not obviously a spiral:

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) contours derived from the FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J212804.10+041738.4; "z_sp" its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

This is very interesting. I would say that the host is the central galaxy, most likely the elliptical. The bent structure of the radio source indicates that the radio source lives in a very dynamic environment, usually associated with a group or cluster.

Posted