Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0000k55 - countours, slider, ref, coords, links missing in Comment!

• JeanTate by JeanTate

And a white line through the image.

Bug! 😦

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

The problem doesn't occur just at this image.
    The other GZ Talk page (of the main project) works fine !

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

OK, maybe it's my browser; time to close some windows, etc ...

Thanks zutopian.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to JeanTate's comment.

I don't think, that the problem is related to the browsers, which we use.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This is an example of the sort of ARG images I'm seeing:

enter image description here

In Firefox, Chrome, and IE. After a reboot (and some tidying up of clutter). Different ARG images have the white line(s) in different places, but they all lack contours, the slider, FIRST ID, coordinates, links to FIRST (etc),

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes, the image looks almost same as what I see.: http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0002v6q

Curiously, the comments overlap the images and there are no contours. Besides there are currently no coordinates (and no other infos) displayed and there are no links available below the images.

PS: Almost same, because I see just 2 comments, which overlap the image ARG0002v6q. On your image of ARG0002v6q there are 3 overlapping comments. I use IE11.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

I am having the same issue on all sources now. Worked fine yesterday. I'll forward this onto the team to see if there is an easy fix.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Resizing the browser window a bit works for an immediate fix, but that's definitely something broken on the back end. It's been reported to the developers - hope it will be fixed ASAP!

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

This is how I have always seen the vast majority of objects by default in Chrome (currently version 35.0.1916.153 m) and what I do to bring up the FIRST ID and links to SDSS etc. is open up the JavaScript console and then refresh the screen and close down the JavaScript console again. Hope this helps!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to KWillett's comment.

Resizing the browser window a bit works for an immediate fix

Works for me, in both FF and Chrome (didn't test IE), except for the contours.

@WizardHowl, when you do (did) that, do you get the contours, slider, ref, and coordinates to become visible too? Also, how do you 'open up the JavaScript console'? (I feel we've had this conversation before ... 😉 )

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

I go to the Menu---Tools---JavaScript console (Ctrl-Shift-J in my version of Chrome by default). It was some time ago that I mentioned this in the Bug Reports thread, so that's probably where you are remembering it from.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Yes, very likely.

The skittish behavior has returned, after a period of being normal ... 😦

Posted

Hi everyone,

The developers pushed a fix to the site this afternoon, about 1 hour ago. Please try quitting and reopening your browser; it should be fixed after that (but let us know if that doesn't work).

Posted

Thanks Kyle.

Tried that (quitting etc), and everything seemed fine for the first object I classified (and wrote a comment on).

On the second one, however, the bad behavior returned ... 😦

But not quite the same way ... if I go to a RGZ Talk page which features an ARG image (to the left), the first time everything is fine. However, from the second time onward, the bad behavior appears (and changing the size - CTRL- or +) works, except that the contours are not restored. Strange.

Posted

Can you give me the IDs (ARG numbers) of two galaxies that do and do not work for you?

Posted

Strange ... stopped doing it now ... 😦

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

and now it's back ... ARG0002wgk

EDIT: I clicked "Discuss" after classifying, and got the screen without contours (etc); CTRL- brought everything (except) contours back. Having posted my comment, I navigated away, then came back, and everything is OK ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Still happening, and may also be creating the appearance of an IR/radio (contour) offset; e.g. ARG0003m41, ARG0002hyr

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks Jean. I'll contact the developers.

cheers.
    Ivy

Posted

Hi Jean, Is this problem still occurring for you? Thanks,Ivy

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Yes ... or at least it was earlier today, when I commented on the dozen or so ARG images I classified.

Posted

And again today. In both sessions the first object was fine, but the 'bad behavior' started on the second one I classified.

Posted

This is indeed very strange. Both @bumishness and I tried to emulate the problem but cannot seem to replicate it....

Posted

Did you go all the way through with one classification (Discuss, SDSS/NVSS/FIRST, Comment, close tabs/windows), then repeat (in particular click "Discuss" on the Next object)? If not, then you did not repeat the steps which - at least very often - result in the bug.

Here's what I just did:

• close all apps
    • restart computer
    • open RGZ (in English) and RGZ Classify (also in English)
    • classify to Finish
    • click Discuss (object was ARG0003g4x)
    • click SDSS, then Explore
    • write a comment, click Comment
    • close RGZ Talk tab, close SDSS tab
    • click Next in classify
    • classify to Finish
    • click Discuss (object was ARG0001d56)
    • problem (cropped screenshot):

I can't say with 100% certainty, but the bug doesn't show on the first cycle (classify/discuss/comment/close), but nearly always on the second.

Posted

The very next RGZ Talk page I navigated to repeats the problem:

I can make it go away by Ctrl-+ or Ctrl--, per Kyle's suggestion, but this doesn't always work, and the contours are still missing:

Posted

Yeah, I tried again with 2 objects today. Not the exact subjects that you were looking at (since I don't have control over which one Classify throws at me) but it didn't seem to have a problem (from start to finish.. ending with "discuss" as you described).... I'll ask the tech team if they have any other suggestions

By the way, what version of Firefox are you using? Have you updated your browser recently?

Posted

In this part of a screenshot, you can see an odd feature, to the left of the right-most Firefox tab (the open one):

I don't know how long this has been appearing, but it's in every Firefox window I tried, even ones with tabs that have nothing to do with RGZ, or the Zooniverse; likewise even if it's just a single tab in a window.

My primary interest is, obviously, to find a way for the bug to stop appearing (i.e. I don't really care too much what causes it, as long as I can make it go away). To that end, I fired up my Linux box, and Firefox, and logged in under my 'test' ID (JeanTate2). Some classifications and a few RGZ Talk site navigations later, no sign of the bug.

Then I came back to my Windows 7 machine, closed everything and rebooted, and started RGZ (main site) in a new window, classified, discuss/commented, etc ... and no sign of the bug! 😮 😄

If it comes back, I'll report it, here.

Thanks for trying to find the bug, Ivy and akapinska. 😃 Oh, and it's 30.0, which is 'up to date' (so Firefox tells me).

Posted

We got a reply from our developers and they mentioned that clearing your browser cache might help the problem too.

cheers,
    Ivy

Posted