Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

J084017.83+175722.7 - fading blob?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I'll add "do an NVSS overlay image centered on that ETG, and zoomed in somewhat" to my list. 😃

Took a while, but here it is:

enter image description here

And here's z_sp 0.116 SDSS J084018.89+175744.8:

enter image description here

Yes, it does look rather like a late-stage merger, doesn't it? Or perhaps a lenticular with a huge bulge and low surface brightness disk? Should I add it to my database of SDRAGN candidates?

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx,NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J084018.89+175744.8; 'z_sp' its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Really strange! 😮 😮

This was supposed to be a new post, in response to an earlier one in the J084017.83 +175722.7 - fading blob? thread. But instead of adding to that, Talk created an entirely new thread, with the odd title "The Objects" (I've since edited it).

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

One thing bother me, one would expect to see something in VLA FIRST however this is not the case apparently, maybe switched off radio galaxy?
    Also the whole thing is visible in VLSS indicating some aging?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

The resolution of FIRST is 5 arcseconds and the resolution of NVSS is 45 arcseconds. If the radio emission is diffuse then NVSS can pick this up and FIRST can resolve the structure out and will not observe it.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thanks! I meant that usually there is something in the FIRST ( compact source, diffuse source etc )

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

yes there is usually something in FIRST like you mention. The other thing to think about when looking for with fading blobs is other wavelengths like you said about VLSS. Can also look at TGSS.

Posted