Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

no image in SDSS and WISE...

• yesjimmy62 by yesjimmy62

why there is no images in SDSS and WISE, but has two strong emission in FIRST?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to yesjimmy62's comment.

Hi yesjimmy62, and welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo! 😃

I am not a SCIENTIST (that's their title here), so please take this as just my humble opinion.

What you have found may be a rare and very exciting object! 😮 😄

If the two radio sources are, in fact, doublelobes (or otherwise associated with the same host), then they are very likely such an enormous distance away that the host galaxy is too faint to show, even in the WISE data (very distant host galaxies may be visible in WISE but invisible in SDSS; vice versa is rare).

Just a bright - as radio-bright as these two anyway - source, without an obvious optical (SDSS) or IR (WISE) counterpart is very likely to be an IFRS, an infrared-faint radio source. These are of great interest to astronomers, for reasons which Ray Norris describes in the IFRS: The first supermassive black holes? blog post.

A bright double radio source at such a huge distance? Well, they should be doubly interesting, right?

PS I've added this to my Collection, No or faint IR, DL/HG/triple bright radio !IFRS

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks @yesjimmy62. @JeanTate is correct, these radio sources are probably located at very high redshifts back when the Universe was much younger.

Posted