Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001ti3 - FRII?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This triple has what seems to me to be a rather unusual radio morphology: to the E, there's (somewhat bent) radio emission that ends with a hotspot; the the W there's a hotspot close to the host, and a fairly sharp edged plume of radio emission extending further away, almost as if the E emission has been transposed. In other words, for the W lobe, the hotspot is in the 'wrong place'.

How come?

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Hi Jean Tate, just as antikodon tagged it, it's likely a hybrid, that is a hybrid morphology radio galaxy. These radio galaxies seem to have an FRII morphology on one side and an FRI on the other. Now, why does that happen? We're not sure yet - lots of research to do this. This may be environment affecting the source, or projection effect playing our eyes for example. Definitely an interesting type of a radio source! #hybrid

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to akapinska's comment.

Thanks akapinska! 😃

So, I found a hybrid candidate, eh? Cool!

And I learned something new ... that 'hotspot close, lobe distant' is FRI morphology. But how does this happen?

What I thought was hybrid was FRII on one side, and a lobe with no hotspot on the other, like a plume; I guess they're also hybrids, right?

Posted