Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

confused newbie

• gbappleton by gbappleton

When examining the survey pics I noticed three possible though vague associations. the first two are a bright and dim ir spots located roughly between and and slightly south-east of the plane of the radio sources. It then occurred to me that it might be possible that the three radio sources might be a single or periodic signal from a jet emitted from the source in the top right quadrant. the contours in the radio signal seem to follow an inverse square distribution, if they represent a single source headed in our general direction, with the complementary rf signal occluded by the source. I have a feeling I am reading way to much into the signal , but it never hurts to ask.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi @gbappleton,

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo.

No worries. You have asked a very good question. The orientation of the 3 radio components does look a little like an extended one-sided giant source that extends from the top right of the frame. Alternatively, this could be a superposition of 2 radio sources whereby the 2 central sources come from a host that is not visible in the IR (because it's too far away) and the southern-most radio component comes from a different galaxy that is also not visible in the IR.

If you click on the links to "FIRST" or "NVSS" below the subject, you will be led to larger fields-of-view but as I cannot make out too much more from these links, it's difficult to verify exactly what the absolute answer is from the present observations.

I hope that this helps.
    Ivy

Posted