Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Image ARG0003cip - separate Radio sources or two lobes of a jet?

• jonbark by jonbark

Hi, need some help with this particular type of 'lobe' - are they part of a BH jet or simply separate radio sources with no relationship? Central or offset faint IR sources - do they qualify as sufficiently 'strong' in the IR to warrant the true source. Find these very difficult to decide - need guidance please - thanks!
    Jon B
    Reading

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi @jonbark,

I think that these 2 radio lobes belong to the faint IR galaxy seen between the 2 lobes. Note that this galaxy between the lobes is likely to be a high redshift galaxy and so is not visible in the optical.

Hope this helps and thanks for your question.
    Ivy

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

I think that these 2 radio lobes belong to the faint IR galaxy seen between the 2 lobes. Note that this galaxy between the lobes is likely to be a high redshift galaxy and so is not visible in the optical.

I agree; there's a faint red blob ~at the center, but it's an SDSS non-PO (it's not a photometric object):

enter image description here

enter image description here

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The center of the image is at (225.439, 6.626)

Posted