Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

• ongole.geeth by ongole.geeth

Can I know what is that bright thing in the IR image but not observed in radio image.Looks very peculiar

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ongole.geeth's comment.

To the NE (top left quadrant)? It's a star; here is the field in SDSS:

enter image description here

Hope this helps

Posted

• ongole.geeth by ongole.geeth in response to JeanTate's comment.

Not in NE corner bur the most brightest and biggest one and a small spot accompanying it(approximately to the north west midway region), can I know what is that?

Posted

I'm not following you, sorry.

Perhaps the confusion is the 'compass directions'?

In this - and most astronomical images - N is to the top (like usual), and E is the left (the opposite of usual).

Is what you're asking about the bright thing with the four 'compass' spikes (in the SDSS image)?

Posted

• ongole.geeth by ongole.geeth

Yeah the compass directions are confusing,its better to go by quadrants.

I meant the bright spot in the top left quadrant and as you have answered its a star; and can we say that all these big bright spots in the IR images are stars?

And how can we get the images of these in SDSS?

Posted

OK, quadrants from now on!

can we say that all these big bright spots in the IR images are stars?

No; some are, but some are large ('local', low redshift) galaxies which do are not radio emitters.

And how can we get the images of these in SDSS?

If you click on the "SDSS" link under a field/image, you'll get a new window/tab centered on the same 'location' (RA, Dec), but with a size ~half that of the ARG one. There's a scale bar on the left, under the "Search" button; if you click on the bar immediately to the left of the lime-green one in the center, you'll get a 'bigger' SDSS image, that's of similar 'size' to the ARG one (but not exactly the same).

Hope this helps

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There seems to be an optical/radio offset (#opticalradiooffset), between the position of the apparent merger host, SDSS J102747.03+100600.7, and the central of the #triple sources:

The host of the SW #compact source is the very faint z_ph 0.80 SDSS J102743.13+100517.5:

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J102747.03+100600.7

Posted