Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Request for more training/resources for better I.D.-ing

• honeyeyedchild by honeyeyedchild

Each slide to me seems a privileged view. I love Radio Galaxy Zoo but I know I could get monumentlaly more out of it ) or put that much more into it) if I had more than the few reference photos. But you can't have a dictionary (could you?) or a flow chart leading us to black holes or stellar nurseries and other phenomenon...which Radio Zoo does, slightly, but it would be so much richer of an experience to have a flow chart that asked more questions. Beyond identifying the contours and IR sources, how nice it might be to be able to say there's such-and-such a probability that the object you've is this kind of galaxy or this kind of black hole.

It's like a little kid's animal flash cards/memory game--make enough associations w/ more detailed reference explanations, the identifications could get faster and much, much more accurate. Make it a quick simple, but addictive game at the beg. of each hunt, flash, say10 images & give multiple choice questions for what they might be looking at, then give answers. If someone wants to play agin, let them. Limit the multiple choice quiz to maybe 3 chances at 10 questions each, then they move on to hunting.

Or offer a complimentary/related free, online college class on radio & IR imagery w/i the context of black holes (schools like edX often offer something up that alley.)

It could be a boon for the researchers, too, to have more accurate hunting.

Thx!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to honeyeyedchild's comment.

Thanks for the great post, honeyeyedchild! 😃

I'll try to offer my humble, ordinary zooite, assistance and opinions; unfortunately it may not be for a few days' yet (hope you don't mind).

In the meantime, I hope either Ivy or Julie (42jkb), the two main scientists here, will drop by soon and address your requests.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to honeyeyedchild's comment.

Hi Honeyeyedchild,

I agree with you and believe that we can add to the RGZ interface. With this being the first introduction to radio astronomy in the Zooniverse we decided to make this version with a few questions. We are working on developing RGZ 2.0 and will add your suggestions to our list of what to add/remove from the current RGZ.

I will look into edX and see what I can do. I'll look around the web for some information that has already been done on radio astronomy and I'll put them all in one place as a start.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Aww shucks, thanks @Honeyeyedchild!

Here is a link to a beginner's guide to Radio Astronomy if you're interested:
    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/education/everyone/radio-astronomy/index.html

Hope this helps 😃 And of course, feel free to ask as many questions as you please on RGZTalk! And we'll try to help as much as we can 😃

Posted