Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003bny - radio contours overlap, but two unrelated sources! How to indicate?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

To the NE is a #triple; to the S a classic #doublelobe. However, the SE lobe of the triple is merged with the NE lobe of the doublelobe, and you can't click on each separately!

I wonder how many sources like this there are, and how will the analysis of our clicks a) identify them, and b) correctly resolve them?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes, the connection of radio sources is something that the RGZ science team is split on. We would like to click on each separately but we haven't figure out the best way to do this yet, so there will continue to be sources where radio "blobs" are connected.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

enter image description here

Here's what the contour overlay image is centered on (the green smudge):

The #triple to the north has no SDSS host (as far as I can see).

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J111809.34+065726.9

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

It might be useful to tag this subject as #BHgroup to alert us to the fact that confusion may be a factor here.... Just a thought

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks Ivy.

I had been reserving #bhgroup for fields in which the radio sources seem to have hosts which are in a (rich) cluster of galaxies; here it's unclear if the hosts are in such a cluster, or even have approx similar redshifts ...

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

No worries. As usual, we are slightly behind in going through the tags but any and all hints are helpful 😃

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Here's ARG0003bny.

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.
    First contours in red, Wise Band 1 lime green.

Regarding the morphology of this emission I am veering towards this being two #doublelobes, and a #compact for the centre lobe. In terms of the #doublelobe to the north, north west, there is an ALLWISE source located on the S lobe, ALLWISE J111809.16+065759.6. so this does not preclude these lobes from being a #triple, with the lobe SE a counterpart of a #triple. This is noted in the comments above. Regarding the SW #doublelobe, there is an ALLWISE source located between the #doublelobes, ALLWISE J111809.38+065724.5.

If there is a #compact lobe in the centre, there doesn't appear to be any radio references for this lobe.

Here's the Aladin overlay, with ALLWISE sources red dots.

As always, comments, suggestions, welcome.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

Very cool, Chris! 😃

I think this is an #overlap, of a #doublelobe (the two south-most radio sources, host ALLWISE J111809.38+065724.5) and an #asymmetric #triple (the other three distinct radio sources, host ALLWISE J111809.16+065759.6).

Posted