Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

How to describe the radio morphology?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I come across many sources which have morphologies I cannot easily categorize. Formerly, I created separate threads for them; now I think it's better to put them all together in one thread. Hence this thread.

I'll add at least links to the older threads (which typically got only one, if any, responses) later.

So, ARG0002iif: for the central sources, the host is obvious (zsp 0.328 SDSS J091420.04+172610.8):

enter image description here

However, the E lobe is clearly extended S-ward, and the W lobe has a flatter intensity profile than the E one, with a hint of an N-ward extension, but near the host.

Does the blue blob (zph 0.458±0.083 SDSS J091420.24+172558.7) have anything to do with the radio emission? Is this an #overlap?

Then there's the isolated E #compact source: is it just a very faint, distant source (#noIR, #nooptical)? or the faded remains of an older lobe (there's a hint of a W counterlobe, below the threshold), making this #restarted?

A different view of the radio emission:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In this post I'll be adding all the "sources that have no simple description" (as DocR puts it, in a later post in this thread), which have appeared in posts in a Discussion thread. I'll try to put them in chronological order, and will note:

• the date, and thread title
    • ARG field
    • author/person who first noted the source (in a Discussion thread; there may be an earlier note in a Comment)
    • possible hashtags
    • "likely isn't"
    • number of post, other than the OP, in the thread

April 25 2016 ARG0003fjb: overedge double doublelobe? Orthogonal too?

ARG field: ARG0003fjb

Author: JeanTate

Possible hashtags: doublelobe AND hourglass

Likely isn't:

Nposts (other than OP): two

April 21 2016 ARG0003niz: radio morphology?

ARG field: ARG0003niz

Possible hashtags:

Likely isn't:

Nposts (other than OP): none

April 19 2016 ARG0000ds5: what's the radio morphology?

ARG field: ARG0000ds5

Possible hashtags:

Likely isn't:

February 13 2016 Image ARG0001oyw

ARG field: ARG0001oyw

Author: Gweilouk

Possible hashtags: artifact wat

Likely isn't: compact

Nposts (other than OP): three

February 8 2016: ARG00021ed: OK to describe the radio morphology as #corelobe?

ARG field: ARG00021ed

Possible hashtags: corelobe, asymmetric triple, 1-sided lobe

Likely isn't: hourglass, corejet

January 28 2016: ARG0000lzz: how to describe the radio morphology?

ARG field: ARG0000lzz

Possible hashtags: triple PLUS overlap, triple PLUS hourglass

Likely isn't: pure/simple triple

Nposts (other than OP): one

January 15 2016 ARG0000rjj: how to describe the radio morphology?

ARG field: ARG0000rjj

Possible hashtags: pair of corejets, asymmetric

Likely isn't: doublelobe

December 27 2015 NGC 2656/ARG0000e8b: how to describe the radio morphology?

ARG field: ARG0000e8b

Possible hashtags: overlap

Likely isn't:

Nposts (other than OP): one

November 10 2015 ARG0003bny - radio contours overlap, but two unrelated sources! How to indicate?

ARG field: ARG0003bny

Possible hashtags: overlap triple doublelobe

Likely isn't:

Nposts (other than OP): five

August 12 2015 Plume?

ARG field: ARG0002uff

Author: bobk47

Possible hashtags: overlap compact (x3)

Likely isn't: plume

Nposts (other than OP): five

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This one is a beauty! 😃

In ARG0002am3, the host is zph 0.241±0.015 SDSS J144920.23+210522.7; I'm not sure if the green fluff is real, but if it is, then #green:

Will take a good contour overlay image to see how odd the radio morphology is (other than #doublelobe); until then, FIRST, centered on the host:

ETA: contour overlay image:

Perhaps it's an #overlay, with an unrelated source zph ?? SDSS J144918.73+210539.5 as host?

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002dt1: one host, or two? #overlap of radio emission?

SDSS J163154.94+193345.4, zph 0.410±0.140, is clearly a host; how to describe the radio emission to its E?

Is the emission to the W part of the strange #doublelobe of the (sole) host? Or is there another host, buried in the glare of the bright star?

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

I am collecting sources that have no simple description, so that they can be further studied. Some of them probably indicate the influence of turbulent motions in the medium surrounding the radio source, such as one might find in a cluster of galaxies, especially after a recent merger. So please continue to put things here, and if possible, always give their ARG number. Thanks! lr

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

ARG0000eva - https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0000eva

SDSS J112845.50+532923.4 - 1237658800960962913

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG0001w5k host zph 0.677±0.067 SDSS J142646.42+271223.3 or nbr zph 0.536±0.069 SDSS J142645.91+271222.3; is it really an #x-shaped morphology?

enter image description here enter image description here

ETA: here's an overlay, centered on SDSS J142646.42+271223.3](http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr12/en/tools/explore/Summary.aspx?id=1237665350243648583):

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

I am collecting sources that have no simple description, so that they can be further studied. [...] So please continue to put things here

I've begun to go through older Discussion threads, looking for these, and writing a short note about each. Starting with Help -> The Objects. The second post in this thread is my first go. As posts will quickly get big, I'll be collecting and writing them in batches of ~ten. To repeat, I'll try to put them in chronological order, and will note:

• the date, and thread title
    • ARG field
    • author/person who first noted the source (in a Discussion thread; there may be an earlier note in a Comment)
    • possible hashtags
    • "likely isn't"
    • number of post, other than the OP, in the thread

**ARG field**:
    **Author**:
    **Possible hashtags**:
    **Likely isn't**:

Nposts (other than OP):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG0002h7a, host zsp 0.140 SDSS J155439.05+175958.6: is this a #WAT?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000c51, centered on zph 0.513±0.036 SDSS J092821.78+550514.7:

Maybe the host, if there's just one, is zph 0.828±0.085 SDSS J092820.59+550512.2?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00016ui there's at least one host, zph 0.467±0.026 SDSS J072113.79+392511.1. If just one, how to describe the radio morphology? If more than one host, what are the others? And what is their radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002nkx, zsp 0.187 SDSS J151215.50+151454.5 looks like it should be the host of the radio emission in the center, but if so, it's #offset a ways. And anyway, what's the radio morphology?

Contour overlay covering the apparent #hourglass in the SW quadrant on order.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Contour overlay covering the apparent #hourglass in the SW quadrant on order.

Centered on zsp 0.187 SDSS J151220.09+151352.9; a strange #wat?

Zoomed out, and centered on zph 0.229±0.048 SDSS J151218.63+151412.4:

Weirder and weirder ...

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

often, projection effects can manifest lots of odd shapes.... i like your latest one. is this a known galaxy group is this?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00013hz, zph 0.758±0.067 host SDSS J144906.97+410757.2; yes, it's #bent, but it's also rather asymmetric and the radio emission has several 'bends', not just the usual ~one.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000yz2, what's the host, or hosts? Perhaps one is zsp 0.204 SDSS J165731.93+431955.5?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001pgd, host zph 0.345±0.035 SDSS J091857.77+302117.5 produces radio emission with a strange morphology:

Is the "blue fluff" somehow related?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002aa0 there's no apparent IR or SDSS host. The radio morphology looks a bit like an hourglass, but the lobes are highly unequal (in terms of radio emission), so perhaps it's a #corelobe (core plus one-sided lobe)?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001e79, ARG0001e75 and no doubt other ARG fields, the host is zsp 0.283 QSO SDSS J172109.49+354216.0:

The radio morphology seems odd to me; hybrid? restarted?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG000329f, a #doublelobe and an #overlap, with a #compact (SE lobe)?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

While projection effects from multiple sources can result in some very odd morphologies, the "spirally" or s-/x-shaped morphologies can be due to both environmental effects and/or precessing black holes in combination with timescales of outbursts. This is why it's so important to try to capture these morphologies at every stage of evolution to try to piece together the evolutionary sequence. ,,, Thanks for collection.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001h6b, the lobes look like they are on different sides of a 'fault line'; they seem symmetrically displaced with respect to the (apparent) host (doesn't show well at this resolution; contour overlay image on order):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001ore, the NW source looks like a ring. I think the host is zsp 0.255 SDSS J105006.42+304045.5:

There's also a strange morphology just 'off-stage', at ~(162.599, 30.654):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0003mlh, is there one host, or two? Is the (or one of the) host(s) zsp 0.371 SDSS J141137.05+031017.2?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00014as, I think the host is zph 0.265±0.058 SDSS J143237.05+404321.0:

How best to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

if they are symmetrically displaced, this could be a background source...

Posted

The ring is very cool. I wonder if there are more rings out there? This is in the region of a cluster --ref: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/ex_refcode?refcode=2010ApJS..191..254H

Posted

My hunch for this subject is a pair of core-jets.... or maybe a single core-jet and a compact

Posted

perhaps a wat?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

thanks @ivywong! 😃

In ARG0000s67, there are two, classic 'teardrop' radio sources ... but if you trace where they seem to originate - normally ~where the host is - you see ... nothing! Perhaps a huge, #ifrs (huge? for the host to be invisible in both IR and optical, it'd have to be, what, z > 3?). zph 0.298±0.062 SDSS J114404.69+463322.4 is somewhat to the W of where the lobes point to:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001llw, there are three distinct FIRST sources; only one seems to be associated with either a WISE or SDSS source (the SW one, zph 0.600 ± 0.070 SDSS J072310.17+321003.1. How to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000e2u, the host is clearly zph 1.78 (per NED), SDSS J091602.27+535749.6 (in DR7; it's not a PO in DR12). And there's also clearly a thin #jet to the NNW. However, what's the emission to the S? It seems to have a (faint), distant hotspot - unlike the N emission, making it a #hybrid? - but also seems offset (if aligned)!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Several this morning ...

In ARG0003qsx, what looks like a lobe with a slightly bent tail ... but if so, what's the host, and where's the other lobe? Perhaps it's not a lobe after all??

In ARG0000hhc there's a background #compact (zph 0.875±0.078 SDSS J074925.25+520141.8), and zsp 0.068 SDSS J074927.24+520232.5 is clearly the host of much, if not all, the other radio emission. But is there another host? And how to describe the radio morphology (FIRST cutout centered on the zsp 0.068 host)??

In ARG00038fj, is there one system of radio emission, or two? In either case, how to describe the radio morphology/morphologies? And what is (are) the host(s)?

In ARG00011k9 the host is zsp 1.231 QSO SDSS J124649.93+420718.9, but how to describe the radio morphology? Are the faint radio sources artifacts?

In the NW quadrant of ARG00031lm, there's something which looks like a distorted, "strike/slip" double lobe, with host perhaps zsp 0.587 SDSS J100449.29+102543.9. How to describe the radio morphology (FIRST cutout centered on this galaxy)?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Just one today ...

In ARG00021rc, there are two distinct sources, and one just below the threshold. Although there's no SDSS image, the WISE one seems to suggest a galaxy cluster.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ChrisMolloy posted this contour overlay image of the field around FIRSTJ215435.1+144407, in ARG0002ovk, yesterday (see this Discussion thread for details).

How to describe the radio morphology? Is it, perhaps a core with an asymmetric, bent, almost wrapped-around pair of lobes? Here's what it looks like in FIRST:

And what is the host, or hosts?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Only one other this morning, a "slip-strike" #doublelobe in ARG0003qfr. The host? I'd vote for zsp 0.434 SDSS J112526.53+014301.5:

QSO AGN BROADLINE is how the SDSS spectroscopic pipeline classifies it as; can't disagree:

And the FIRST image; you can see the "slip-strike" nature quite clearly, the lobe's tails point in quite different directions (but the E one seems to point to the host):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Also only one new one this morning.

In ARG0003o8k, there's a core (host STAR SDSS J004122.97+023211.1, but surely a QSO, given that it's an x-ray and UV source too).

Is the other radio source, to its NE, a lobe associated with it? Or a completely separate, extended compact source? If the former, how unusual is it to have such a bright lobe, and no sign of the counter-lobe?

FIRST image centered on the host:

Posted

In ARG0000hhc : could be a slightly #bent #wat and I also think that the #artefacts in the image has distorted the diffused emission in the lobes.

In ARG00021rc : I think that there may be a #BHgroup here as NED suggest that there is a cluster (z~0.45) at this location even though SDSS did not image this properly

in ARG0002ovk: suspect that there are multiple sources (in the foreground and background/higher-z) within central confused source. the artefacts are also not helping.

in ARG0003qfr : inclined to think that this is a single #double marred by some @artefacts

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

@ivywong Thanks! 😃

Two for this morning.

In ARG0002s11, what looks like a #compact ~coincides with a fairly bright star. However, to the SW is a classic teardrop source, which we'd usually say is a #lobe. Perhaps this is an odd #doublelobe, with the NE lobe a chance alignment? There are two possible SDSS hosts, ~coinciding with faint FIRST emission (though below the threshold); I think STAR SDSS J153703.62+132808.3 is the more likely:

enter image description here (centered on candidate host)

In ARG0003awn, there's what looks for all the world like the NW lobe of a doublelobe ... yet there's no apparent counterlobe, nor any core emission! 😮 Except, perhaps, if the #faint (1-contour) emission is real ... No apparent optical or IR host ...

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

Here's the contour overlay for ARG0001h6b. Agree with the host being SDSS J164949.44+341800.2, ALLWISE J164949.41+341759.8.

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.

Posted

I think that ARG0002s11 could be a corejet and ARG0003awn may be an #IFRS

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

@ivywong Thanks! 😃

Several to mention today, though one was mentioned earlier.

Start with two #slipstrike - yeah, I've seen enough of them now that I decided they deserved their own hashtag 😉

In the center of ARG00017b there's no apparent host, in either WISE or SDSS, so this may not be a #doublelobe?

The #slipstrike in ARG0002eig is more typical, though it's hard to see the relative displacement - lobes pointing in different directions - in the FIRST image below (it's quite clear in the ARG one). Although there seems to be a WISE host - in line with the SE lobe, but not the NW one - there's no SDSS photometric object.

In ARG0000hjm there's a strange #bent #triple. The host is visible in WISE may be zph ??? SDSS J074638.28+520042.0 or zph 0.605±0.036 SDSS J074637.87+520048.6, both invisible in the standard SDSS gri cutout; it may also be not detected by SDSS (a contour overlay image would tell):

I really have no idea about ARG0001ecd! 😮

Is the host zph 0.367±0.049 SDSS J091843.03+353708.3?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Just one this morning, ARG0003g63.

The host seems to be zph 0.483±0.024 SDSS J030648.23+052548.7:

The radio emission is weird ... perhaps it's the last gasp of what was once a #wat or #nat? FIRST cutout centered on SDSS J030648.23+052548.7:

Posted

I reckon that ARG0000hjm is likely to be multiple confused sources

ARG0001ecd could be a WAT or bent jet with an odd orientation to our line of sight

ARG0003g63 will require deeper observations to verify because I'm not entirely convinced that it's not a processing artefact 😦

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

As always, thanks @ivywong! 😃

Three for today

In ARG0001ezv there are several faint sources; all #compact (making up an unusually rich #bhgroup perhaps)? Or a fading #WAT, with host SDSS J165524.56+351801.4 which the SDSS pipeline thinks is a STAR? Or something else?? FIRST cutout centered on SDSS J165524.56+351801.4.

In ARG0001i5n, is zph 0.374±0.042 SDSS J100856.30+334953.2, or one of its close neighbors, the host of an unusual #WAT? Or is this perhaps a #doublelobe with a host that's too faint to see in WISE or SDSS? Yeah, a contour overlay image would be needed to see the offset clearly. FIRST cutout centered on SDSS J100856.30+334953.2.

In ARG00030to, there's a faint #compact which seems to coincide with zsp 0.299 SDSS J085626.67+103933.2, and just arcsecs away a bright #compact. Are they related? If so, what's the radio morphology? In any case, there's no other WISE or SDSS source nearby. FIRST cutout centered on SDSS J085626.67+103933.2.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

And three for today too ...

In ARG000380p, the host is either zph 0.151±0.131 SDSS J094142.07+081405.3, in NW, or zph 0.454±0.110 SDSS J094142.37+081359.7, in center:

The FIRST morphology is ... strange:

In ARG0003ozp the host may be zph 0.813±0.059 SDSS J121945.87+021529.2, or #noIR #nooptical:

The FIRST morphology is #bent #doublelobe, but quite #asymmetric (possibly #hybrid?), and may be even stranger, depending on what the host is:

In ARG000079d, the host is likely zsp 0.453 SDSS J131503.90+581337.1:

If so, the FIRST morphology is #asymmetric #WAT and possibly #hymor ... or is it?

Posted

ARG000380p -- I think that this is a #bent source that is near a #compact (the northern most radio componen)
    ARG000079d -- this looks #bent to me

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks @ivywong! 😃

From the last ~week or so ...

In ARG00027ef, there's a lobe; the other one is #overedge. It's #asymmetric, though not a #giant, as Dolorous_Edd points out, if the host is zph 0.357±0.044 SDSS J104913.14+223016.1. So, not really a question of what the radio morphology is. The FIRST cutout is centered on SDSS J104913.14+223016.1.

The host in ARG0003bcu is obvious, zsp 0.342 QSO SDSS J084600.36+070424.6.

What's not obvious is the radio morphology. Sure, there's a really bright #core, and #lobes (which are not bent), but is it a #hybrid? And is the faint, apparently isolated, radio source to the SW associated (it shows up clearly in NVSS)? If so, is this a highly #asymmetric #restarted source? Both FIRST and NVSS cutouts centered on the host.

Lastly, a question of terminology. In ARG00030b7, the host is zsp 0.587 SDSS J094315.79+104852.5:

Yes, it has #lobes, which may be #bent; yes, they're #asymmetric. And rather #diffuse, #faint even. But can we describe them as #fading (i.e. the jets switched off some time ago, and the "bubbles" of hot plasma have radiated away a lot of their energy)? As usual, FIRST cutout centered on the host:

Posted

Old radio lobes can be asymmetric because the medium into which it moves may be different on each side.

ARG0003bcu - could be a HyMoR candidate but it's hard to say since the hot spot may also be a background source. Do you have an overlay for this?

ARG00030b7 - I reckon that this one could be a regular #double and much of the diffused features are because of the #artefacts.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks @ivywong.

ARG0003bcu - could be a HyMoR candidate but it's hard to say since the hot spot may also be a background source. Do you have an overlay for this?

No, but one is on order! 😃

Posted

In ARG00018zg, it's far from obvious what the host is (or what the hosts are). And the radio morphology is pretty obvious: either #doublelobe (if the two sources are associated) or two separate (independent?) #compact.

So, from the NVSS and FIRST data alone, is it possible to decide which of these interpretations is more likely? In particular, how reliably can the faint - non-FIRST source - at ~(129.194, 38.301) be used to decide that the host is zph 0.337±0.098 SDSS J083646.74+381801.8 (or one of its neighbors)?

ARG00018eu contains three obvious FIRST sources, and one of them (the NE one) seems to be within an arcsec or so of an IR (WISE) source (there are no obvious SDSS sources, for any FIRST source). However, the other two FIRST sources seem to be offset from IR sources, by amounts that exceed an uncertainty you'd expect from such (bright) sources. So, not a radio morphology question, but one about offsets: how real are they likely to be, for #compact sources?

Radio morphology question: how to describe that of the central source? It's somewhat extended (to the E), and not really elliptical ...

Finally, in ARG00026wa there are four FIRST sources; two faint #compact, a #corejet (or #headtail?), and an #hourglass. None seem to have IR or optical hosts. From the IR and FIRST data alone, how robustly can we say they are all independent of each other? If we wanted to interpret this as four components of a single source, how to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Several today.

In ARG00021hg, there's an #asymmetrical #hourglass in the center, host STAR SDSS J160425.29+245209.9. And a #compact to the E, host zph 0.67 SDSS J160430.12+245212.7

To the SW are two #compact sources. Neither has an apparent host. Nor does there seem to be a host ~midway between them. How to decide if this is a #doublelobe, or not? How to decide if either compact (if they are independent sources) is an #ifrs? What to call this, if it's a no-host double lobe?

In ARG0003q8g there are two sources, both #faint and #extended. The N one, in the center, seems to have as host M2 STAR (per spectrum) SDSS J084759.03+014713.2:

Is the radio emission to the S associated with this source/host? If so, how to describe the radio morphology?

To the N are several more radio sources, with easily decided radio morphology. The field also seems to include at least one (rich) cluster. How to decide if either of the central radio sources is associated with (one or more of) the cluster(s)?

In ARG00030q7 is what I think is an #asymmetric #restarted #doublelobe (and, to the S, a #faint #compact). I don't know what the host is. Whatever it is, can the radio morphology be described as #x-shaped? If not, how to describe the fat bulge(s) at the 'host ends' of the lobes, ~orthogonal to the lobe axis?

In the center of ARG0001vh3, there's another #slipstrike #triple, host zph 0.96 (!) SDSS J155540.53+273124.0; the host is at the N tip of the S lobe:

The wider field containing ARG0000y3c is complex in FIRST, but rather simple in NVSS (a #doublelobe); both centered on the (main) host, zsp 0.500 SDSS J150148.34+434632.5, which is #overedge:

The is an - unrelated? - #compact to the E of the S lobe's hotspot, #noIR #nooptical. Or maybe it's actually an unrelated #hourglass? In any case, the morphology is quite complex. And the #doublelobe is #asymmetrical, possibly #bent.

Any better description of the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Catching up.

In ARG0001cqq there are two radio sources, both extended. The N one looks lobey, it has a hotspot and a tail opposite; the axis is ~a bit N of NE. The S one is ~elliptical, with an axis that is ~EW. There's a faint IR source sorta in the middle; there's not SDSS PO there. Is this a #doublelobe?

I really don't understand what's in ARG000070k. In the end I went for a #doublelobe (the two brightest sources), with no obvious IR or optical host; and an #overlap with a #faint #compact to the W, also with no obvious IR or optical host. How would you classify this? Describe the radio morphology?

The host of the #overedge radio sources in ARG0002fk9 is zsp 0.076 SDSS J143353.50+184520.9:

It's clearly a #triple ... but the lobes are quite #asymmetric, and one (NW) is very #bent, but not the other. How best to describe this morphology (FIRST image centered on the host)?

In ARG0001u11 there are two radio sources. The N one is nice and symmetrical, and not extended; on its own a #compact. The S one is #extended, kinda like a #bijet. However, there's an IR and an SDSS source ~midway between them, red STAR SDSS J110626.28+280855.1:

The axis of the S source goes through the STAR and the N source. Normally this set of (~five) close associations (on the sky) would suggest a highly #asymmetric #doublelobe, but perhaps it's all just coincidence? Perhaps there are two unrelated sources, both hosts invisible to both WISE and SDSS? In this interpretation, the N source is an #ifrs, and the source an AGN with nice back-to-back jets and no lobes.

Last one for this post. The most obvious potential host for at least some of the radio emission in ARG0000qu0 is (spectroscopic M3III) STAR SDSS J105409.80+471441.1:

But how to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000te0, the host of the #doublelobe is QSO zsp 0.462 SDSS J131508.81+455846.4:

How to describe the radio morphology of the inner part of the W lobe, almost like a separate jet at an angle (FIRST cutout centered on host)?

In ARG0003qiu, is there a #doublelobe and a #compact? 3 #compacts? Something else?? Hosts? Perhaps STAR SDSS J025143.84+014042.4 and #SDRAGN candidate zph 0.182±0.036 SDSS J025145.38+014118.2?

In ARG00005fh, which is outside the SDSS footprint, the two #faint #compacts are very likely unrelated sources (they seem to coincide with IR sources). The #doublelobe's jets (if that's what they are) seem to be #twisting: is that an appropriate term to use? Also, the S lobe seem to have an upturn, kinda like a hockey stick; how to describe this radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002i2c, the host of the #doublelobe is zph 0.656±0.063 SDSS J154220.23+173754.0 (it may be an #SDRAGN). Can the morphology of the radio emission be described as #fading?:

Not so much to ask about the radio morphology, as to ask about my interpretation. In ARG00007ys, the #corejet's host is zph 0.61±0.051 SDSS J141318.87+574531.5 (also an #SDRAGN candidate); the #overlap #compact has no IR or optical host:

In ARG00020hu, it's clear that the S radio source is a #compact, with host zph 0.228±0.059 SDSS J104602.05+251357.4, though I think it's a lot further away (higher redshift) than that:

What is/are the host/s of the two other distinct radio sources? And are they a #doublelobe? a #corejet and an unrelated #hourglass? Something else??

Posted

Sorry for the slight delay, I was away last week at a Telescope Time Assignment Committee meeting...
    ARG00030q7 is probably an #asymmetric #restarted #doublelobe
    ARG0002fk9: a brilliant probe of the environment density!
    ARG0000qu0 : possibly confused IR host to the south-east but then again, some stars have radio emission too (recent work: http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04531)
    ARG0000te0: definitely #bent and/or #restarted
    ARG00005fh: good example of jet precession or a spinning black hole

Hope this helps!

Posted

Thanks @ivywong! 😃

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does, a great deal.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001usb the host seems to be zph 0.76 SDSS J072926.69+274905.6. I described the radio morphology as a very #asymmetric #triple, with an #artifact confusing the picture; is that right? The FIRST cutout is centered on the host.

In ARG0003d8c there seems to be no IR or optical host. Is the radio morphology best described as #asymmetric #triple? Or is it, perhaps, a #corejet?

The sources in ARG0001sq7 have me scratching my head. Is this a #doublelobe? If so, it seems #bent, and an excellent #HyMoR candidate ... but is it? Also, what's the host? I noted it as zph 0.464±0.153 SDSS J103001.90+284626.8, but there are several really faint SDSS POs which might do. As you can see in this cutout, centered on my guess for the host:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG000095b there seems to be a nice #overlap, a #corejet and a rather #asymmetric #double. This field is discussed in the ARG000095b Radio source galaxy with a SE jet SDSS J172739.05+565744.6 1237656528920183493 ? thread, started by 1001G. Is that a good description of the radio morphology? Here's the FIRST cutout:

In ARG0001tq4 there are three distinct FIRST sources, two of which are #compact, and one I pegged as #corejet. I think the hosts may be zph 0.351±0.095 SDSS J142746.70+281643.6 (center of ARG field; left below), zph 0.606±0.162 SDSS J142748.59+281536.9 (SW in ARG field; center below), and STAR SDSS J142745.88+281619.1 (SE, right). What do you think?

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here.

In ARG0003gc7, zsp 0.442 QSO SDSS J135054.57+052206.3 is certainly a host! But is it the only host? Is the NE radio emission an #overlap? If so, what is the other host? And what is its radio morphology? Irrespective, can the radio morphology of the main (brightest, central) system be described as #hybrid (#HyMor)?

FIRST cutout centered on the QSO:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000x79, is the radio morphology best described as #bent #NAT?

The host(s) in ARG000067l is (are) lost in the glare of a bright star; so that makes this a pure radio morphology question; what is it?

My question for ARG0003qm7 isn't what the radio morphology is (it's pretty clearly #doublelobe), but whether the apparent absence of any IR or optical (SDSS) host makes this a particularly striking #IFRS? Or, asked another way, is #ifrs reserved for #compact radio sources? Note that the radio sources are so bright they create #artifacts! 😮

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Currently the majority of IFRS are compact in the radio. However, there have been a few that have been found to be extended in radio.

See here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.4228 Figure 6

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

A lot of catching up to do! 😮

ARG0003j7r: is it just #artifacts? Or #restarted? If the latter, the host seems to be zph 0.50 SDSS J000528.27+042501.1:

ARG0002f2n, a strange #wat? Host is zsp 0.328 SDSS J091420.04+172610.8:

ARG0000fja: is it an #asymmetric #triple? If not, what? Host host zph 0.66 SDSS J173041.30+530649.5?

In the center of ARG0002dxc, a #lobe with no #counterlobe? Host is strange STAR SDSS J160839.33+192853.0 (IR-bright object to the SE, near the S border; it has an #outflow)?

ARG00013oj: #1-sided? Host is zph ?? SDSS J124850.85+410055.5?

Posted

Tough ones but largely seem to be doubles plus either noise/projected background object/ or a real connected structure.

Posted

Thanks Ivy.

seem to be doubles

What are your thoughts on what stacking (and normalizing for size) the subset which is thought most likely to be doubles might show?

Posted

New batch.

In ARG00002uw, the host may be very faint zph ?? SDSS J151235.33+614256.3:

But how to describe the radio morphology, assuming it's all from a single source, given that there's no optical or IR source near the center of the radio emission, and that the host may be off-axis to the W?

The host(s) in ARG00039q4 may be hidden in the glare of a bright star; this SDSS cutout is centered on the strange-shaped extended radio source in the center of the ARG field, I do not know how close the yellow blob (an non-PO) is, position-wise, to the compact source to its N:

In any case, how to describe the radio morphology, a #core plus a single #lobe, with no counterlobe?

ARG0002dvd is somewhat confusing, but I think this is at least a reasonable description: there's a #triple (possible host faint zph 0.83 SDSS J141042.63+193114.4, left) in the center/E, with the S lobe possibly an #overlap with a #compact (possible host STAR SDSS J141043.88+193042.0, right):

And there may be a faint #corelobe to the W, with host possibly zph 0.36 SDSS J141038.25+193150.8:

ARG0003k74: I don't think I've seen anything quite like this, in terms of radio morphology, in an ARG field before. The host seems to be a zsp 0.163 merger (though it may be an overlap), SDSS J150746.84+040232.0:

In FIRST, the radio emission seems to be two back-to-back fans (not really plumes), but it's too small-scale for NVSS to help much:

Posted

Hi @JeanTate, Stacking is typically used only for compact single component sources because unless you know the exact orientation of the doubles, you're effectively stacking mostly random noise. On a related topic, you might be interested in the "central limit theorem". To recap, I am not convinced that stacking double sources will yield a scientifically meaningful result. Hope that this is helpful.
    cheers,
    Ivy

Posted

Thanks Ivy. 😃

Yeah, it'd be very hard to control for all the relevant factors, and I expect you'd need an extremely good (physical) model to test before stacking doublelobes would yield anything of scientific value.

On a related topic, you might be interested in the "central limit theorem".

I'm somewhat familiar with this, it has a great many uses and pops up in all kinds of places (branches of science). Did you have a particular use in mind, re DLs or stacking?

Posted

My "central limit theorem" comment is related to the possibility that one can obtain a significant "signal" out of Gaussian distributed noise. So sometimes conducting methods such as bootstrap resampling may be needed to convince oneself that a stacked signal is real.

Posted

Thanks Ivy! 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Catching up, again (sigh)

ARG00007nh contains a radio source, or sources, whose morphology is ... hard to determine (for me at least); #hybrid? #WAT?

The host, or hosts, equally hard to figure out (this SDSS cutout has the same center as the ARG00007nh field, though it does seem to be near the center of a rich cluster, z ~0.47:

I described the radio sources in ARG0001l2c #asymmetric #triple, with zph 0.157±0.030 host SDSS J072905.65+322623.4. But is it?:

I think there's an #overlap in ARG0003bnu, with a #doublelobe in the SE, and maybe a #triple in the NW (or maybe something else?). A possible host for the #double is faint STAR SDSS J111809.34+065726.9:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In the NW of ARG0000xk3 is a radio source which looks like a lobe. If it is, where is the counter-lobe? The host? This FIRST cutout is centered on that source:

Here's NVSS centered on the same position:

And SDSS:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG0002em7 contains a good example of a #slipstrike #double (#nooptical host):

There are two lobes in NVSS, but only one in FIRST (and it has an odd morphology, #plume?), in the field ARG0002kx5, and the host - zsp 0.391 SDSS J145143.83+162258.6 - is also a radio source (barely):

The host in ARG0000kud - zsp 0.614 SDSS J101310.69+501535.4 - is just below the threshold, but there is only one #lobe! Or is there a different possible interpretation? FIRST cutout centered on the host:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The source in the center of ARG00015jt is #elongated, with host zph 0.420±0.082 SDSS J101300.93+400542.0. Is the source to the NE a #1-sided #lobe? Or an unrelated #compact (#noIR #nooptical host)?

The #double in ARG0001tmm - host zsp 0.837 QSO SDSS J113753.22+282036.1 - is very #asymmetric, both in lobe shape, strength, and orientation (FIRST image centered on host):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00035aq, is the (or a) host #green STAR SDSS J113216.99+091156.1? And what's the radio morphology anyway, #asymmetric #restarted #double? or an #asymmetric #triple, with #noIR #nooptical?

The host is certainly not the asteroid!

The radio emission in ARG0003e82 is a #triple, but it seems quite #asymmetric; is it also #restarted, but only on one side? The host is zph 0.477±0.105 SDSS J094543.27+060358.7:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

958bacsal commented on this field (ARG000026s); it's certainly weird!

I think the main, perhaps only, host is zsp 0.131 SDSS J131424.68+621945.8, which certainly is a core.

But how to describe the rest of the radio emission? Certainly some kind of a tail (#NAT?), maybe some is an #artifact? Is there perhaps a second host? There seems to be ~no associated FIRST radio emission beyond this field:

And NVSS is rather uninformative:

What do you think?

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to JeanTate's comment.

What do you think?

It was discussed numerous times ARG000025u ARG000026c ARG000026h ARG000026g and this is just for start

Conclusion?... what a wierd source!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

Thanks! 😃

Ideally, I guess, the way forward would be to observe this field, with at least the same resolution as FIRST, in a number of different frequencies, with (to?) a depth at least the same as that of FIRST. One thing us citizen scientists - without access to observatories - could do is gather the observations which have been made of this field, from gamma rays to low frequency radio, analyze them, and see how unusual (or not) the sources are (other than at ~21 cm).

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

In ARG00018pb, the radio morphology is ... strange. No doubt that the host is zsp 0.190 SDSS J090121.65+382800.8, a late-stage merger?

The radio source in ARG00021ky are an excellent example of what I've called #slipstrike (as in the geological formation): obvious, typical lobes whose axes point in quite different directions, and a host which is along neither. Here there are some twists (please excuse the pun), the host (zsp 0.233 SDSS J081118.08+244935.4) looks odd (perhaps it has a large stellar disk?) and there may be some radio emission NW of the the NW lobe ... diffuse emission from a previous (older) lobe? FIRST cutout centered on the host.

The very nice ~face-on spiral in ARG0003btw (zsp 0.041 SDSS J132409.48+065428.3) is host to the ~#compact radio source. What is the radio morphology of the source(s) to the E? And is that radio emission associated with the spiral? If not, is the host an SDSS photometric object? SDSS cutout centered on the peak of the E emission.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There's a well-defined ~linear FIRST source in ARG0000349 (to the E), and some diffuse emission (in the W); in NVSS it looks a bit like a #triple:

Is this a single radio source, and if so could it be classed as #hybrid (or #hymor)? If so, the host is likely zsp 0.180 SDSS J171006.63+613107.6 (I think the 'red flare' is an artifact):

If two (or more) independent sources, what are the hosts?

At first glance, ARG0000rwb contains just a somewhat odd #double - the lobes' tails point away from the apparent host (zsp 0.377 SDSS J132547.35+464213.1), not towards it (FIRST cutout centered on host):

But NVSS suggests that the faint SE FIRST source is not an artifact .. so perhaps this is some kind of #restarted source? Or maybe more than one host?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There's already a thread on the diffuse FIRST source in the center of ARG00004rl, so I'll simply provide a link to it here: bright light in the radio can't be seen in the infrared. It's also in ARG00004ru

The radio source in ARG0001rg2 is an #hourglass, with host zph 0.546±0.046 SDSS J150311.31+292300.8. But it's odd ... it's quite #asymmetric, and the W lobe has a quite different profile than the E one (it lacks an obvious hotspot, for example):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00031m9, #slipstrike #doublelobe. Host zsp 0.389 SDSS J143315.11+102454.2?

The FIRST source in ARG0001xh3 is faint, but it's morphology is weird (to me anyway). The host is zsp 2.456 QSO SDSS J160436.35+263618.6:

The main FIRST source in ARG00010a3 is, I think, a #bent #NAT; the host is zph 0.155±0.008 SDSS J162131.09+424526.2. I don't know if the diffuse radio emission to the S is related or not (maybe somewhat like a tail discontinuity in a comet?):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002hs1 there are two distinct FIRST sources. And they seem to be related, with host zph 0.166±0.033 SDSS J163306.86+174504.8. But if so, the radio morphology seems unlike any #double or #triple I can recall:

In ARG0001812 there's something similar; with the added ambiguity of what's the host (maybe zph 0.684±0.171 SDSS J071208.14+384823.3)?

The #triple in ARG0002agw - host zsp 0.573 SDSS J145305.17+210831.6 itself a bit unusual, #green? - is unusual in that the radio lobes have very different structures; not exactly a #hybrid, but ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I think the host in ARG00023e1 - zph 0.516±0.139 SDSS J123413.36+240500.1 - is rather strange (weird merger? giant distant #spiral??), and the #triple radio morphology is somewhat odd too, signs of #x-shaped? FIRST cutout centered on NW lobe.

If you had only the FIRST data in ARG0002o9w, you'd say #triple, #bent, #wat. But there's no IR or SDSS object where the core would be! So perhaps it's an #irfs, or an #overlap? With host zph 0.589±0.133 SDSS J161351.03+145809.2 (left) and zph 0.287±0.115 SDSS J161350.33+145800.9?

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

The pair of radio sources in ARG0000lsl seem to be #doublelobe ... but what is the morphology? The host is zsp 0.575 QSO SDSS J080754.51+494627.5:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001w8t a string of four distinct radio sources. How many hosts? Which radio source is associated with which host?

One host is zsp 1.289 QSO SDSS J094220.04+271031.7 (left); is zph 0.773±0.088 SDSS J094218.39+271040.0 another?:

Looks like a pair of lobes, with nice tails, in ARG0003i41 ... except that they point in very different directions! Is the host STAR SDSS J122744.64+044824.7?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG00037w9: Flagged as possible #HyMoR; it's certainly odd! Host STAR SDSS J155120.74+081724.1 is likely a QSO:

The radio sources look like a #doublelobe, without a core, but the SE lobe looks odd. No host, as it's outside the SDSS footprint:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The central radio source in ARG0000jc5 has an #hourglass radio morphology, if somewhat distorted. However, I think that's just the S lobe of an #overedge (barely) #triple, with host zsp 0.215 SDSS J094447.39+510613.4. If so, the lobes have quite strange morphologies! 😮

FIRST cutout, centered on host; SDSS cutout:

Posted

Hi Jean,
    In your latest post, I think that you could be right about ARG0000jc5 being the southern counterpart to a larger source. Have you checked TGSS for this source to see what the lower frequency radio emission looks like? I'll go have a look....
    cheers,
    Ivy

Posted

Hi Jean,
    I think that the lower frequency image is consistent with what you're suggesting. Here is the overlay with TGSS that I had handy :
    https://sites.google.com/site/ivywongastronomer/my-useful-links/ds9.jpeg?attredirects=0

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks Ivy! 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

in ARG00020xo there's a rather strange source which I classified as #weird #overedge #fading #triple with host zsp 0.099 SDSS J142415.17+250423.8, which itself seems a little odd. FIRST centered on that host:

And NVSS (similarly centered); does it show a faint WAT, extending to the S? (unfortunately TGSS seems rather uninformative):

In ARG0002jsx there appears to be a #core (host zsp 0.682 SDSS J082628.61+165141.3) and a #lobe (to the NE), but no counter-lobe (images centered on host):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The #doublelobe source in (??) is another #slipstrike; the host is maybe #green zph 0.569±0.062 SDSS J124719.22+151152.3:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG000323p, the host is zsp 0.608 SDSS J153116.37+101601.8. The radio emission has a strange morphology:

In ARG00015p1, the radio morphology is #triple (host zph 0.157±0.016 SDSS J171818.63+400114.7), but very odd. As is the morphology of the host:

ARG0001iwp contains an #asymmetrical radio source, possibly a #triple, or maybe a #double. The host? Maybe STAR SDSS J172651.19+332702.6 or STAR SDSS J172650.99+332701.0 or zph 0.378±0.048 SDSS J172649.99+332648.6:

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Lots of catching up to do ...

The host in ARG0002lj9 is zsp 0.234 SDSS J122413.39+160600.7, or possibly a neighbor. The radio morphology is clearly #triple, but the lobes are quite #asymmetric (FIRST cutout centered on host):

The host in ARG000386b, zsp 0.060 SDSS J140757.59+081057.5, is quite strange (what's the linear feature, an overlap?):

The radio emission is pretty simple, a pair of #jets with a bright #core ... except that there may be a pair of #overedge faint lobes, seen in NVSS and (perhaps) in FIRST (I haven't checked TGSS):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I think the lobes in ARG0001hfp (host zph 0.672±0.044 SDSS J095140.82+341057.1; the red blob) are #plumes; certainly they are faint and diffuse (sadly, too small to show in NVSS):

In ARG00038ys, are there two #NATs? Or is the radio morphology something else? If the former the hosts are zph 0.35±0.02 SDSS J163817.80+075554.6 (E, left), and zph 0.329±0.024 SDSS J163816.39+075551.2 (W, left):

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG0001jer contains an interesting (pair of) radio source(s), #overlap (of a #compact and a #corelobe or #corejet), or strange #bent #triple, or ...? Whatever the morphology, what is (are) the host(s)? zph 0.673 ± 0.208 SDSS J133156.58+331207.5 may be one:

The radio source in the center of ARG00036xx is #triple, though only the E lobe is above the FIRST threshold (so it's #faint); more obvious in NVSS. Does that mean it's an old system? Or merely an intrinsically faint one? The host is zph 0.587±0.039 SDSS J112653.64+083720.4, which may be unusual for the extended blue blob nearby (chance alignment?):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The main radio source in ARG0000eu1 is the central part of the actively star-forming, nearly face-on spiral, NGC 3310 (there's a #compact source to the SE, possibly a background object). This is, likely, what many (most?) of the ~compact radio sources ~coincident with the nuclei of spirals with active star-formation would look like, at greater sensitivity and resolution.

Question: how to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

At the center in ARG0001cf4 there's a #double, but the lobes have rather strange morphologies:

In ARG00014cs, #wat? or #compact and faint #hourglass?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002n9l, a #slipstrike:

In ARG00029c7, the host is, perhaps, zsp 0.496 SDSS J134522.50+213857.2, with rather odd #lobes (FIRST cutout centered on host):

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Are the radio sources in ARG0000jb9 a highy #asymmetric #triple with host zph 0.341±0.068 SDSS J105746.24+510549.0 - or its neighbor, with the #green blog to the NE?

Or a more regular #restarted #double, with no core, and host zsp 0.463 SDSS J105743.09+510557.7, with its odd neighbors?

Or something else? Here's a FIRST cutout, centered on SDSS J105743.09+510557.7:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

How to describe the radio morphology of the source(s) in ARG0003olb?

And what is (are) the host(s)? Surely not the STAR SDSS J150102.24+022432.0?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

in ARG0001071, the host seems to be zph 0.465±0.092 SDSS J085048.58+424754.2:

In ARG0001at6 the central three radio sources may be an #asymmetric #double, with host zph 0.092±0.143 SDSS J112909.19+372441.7:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Does the weird radio emission in ARG0002ath count as a #triple? If so, possible host is zph 0.564±0.149 SDSS J143052.96+205900.0:

How to describe the radio morphology of the emission in the center of ARG00010gu? And is zsp 0.364 SDSS J084512.28+423902.5 the only host of this?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

A weirdo in ARG0003p4d; one possible host is the bright elliptical zsp 0.309 SDSS J145222.58+021203.5:

Posted

ARG0003lbp - https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0003lbp

Posted

ARG0003nh0 - https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0003nh0

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Hi Jean,

haven't gotten through all the thread, so sorry if repeating something that has already been said. Some of these morphologies aren't weird, they are in most cases just disturbed somewhat. However, the sources that have this X-shapes or S-shaped radio morphology are called exactly that: X-shaped radio galaxies

I think there are 3 main explanations for them:

1. the wings are just backflows from jets and by chance there was a "gap" or lower density if you prefer in the environment where the diffuse material got deposited

2. the BH accertion disk axis have flipped/changed and so the jets propagate in different area after that happened but the old stuff is in the old place

3. they are restarted, and again the accretion disk placement must have changed

I wonder if anyone put forward idea of binary active SMBH...?

Anyway, check out this paper:
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007AJ....133.2097C

Posted

But radio galaxies of this sort (copied from your previous posts)

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/yphmk36t6gth3zj/firstimage.gif?dl=0)<\img>

are just absolutely normal FRIIs. They just have lobes not archetypically "round", blame density of environment on this 😉

Posted

grrrr! how do i successfully embed an image here??

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to akapinska's comment.

Easiest way is to put a linked image so all you have to do is click the "polaroid" icon above and it should connect to the URL of the image to display the image.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to akapinska's comment.

I opened the link in a separate browser page, (right) clicked on "Copy image location" (I'm using Firefox), then pasted into the code/URL which appears when you click on the "image" icon (to the right of the "code" icon, in a post's menu bar). This is what I got:

It's from a post on page 1 of this Discussion thread, dated April 24 2016, and refers to ARG field ARG0002am3.

are just absolutely normal FRIIs. They just have lobes not archetypically "round", blame density of environment on this 😉

I think it would help many of us volunteers if you - or someone else on the Science Team - could write up a brief tutorial on what are normal FRII sources (and also FRI ones), with examples pulled from ARG fields, and with FIRST cut-outs too.

I can see that this particular source has an FRII morphology ... but it looks anything but normal to me. For example, the two lobes are very different in the distribution of radio intensity (brightness? luminosity?) - they are very asymmetric in this sense, if you flipped one onto the other (as with a mirror) - and the NW one seems to have two hotspots, but the SE lobe just one. Both lobes are also much "fatter" close to the host than at their distant ends; this is the opposite of most classical FRII doubles I have come across.

A particularly common, unusual, FRII source is one I've labelled #slipstrike (clicking on the link should bring up an RGZ Talk page with ~20 ARG fields where this hashtag has been used. A good example is ARG0001y2u, which unfortunately doesn't show up well in the FIRST cutout:

In these sources, the axes of the lobes (or the "ridgelines") do not point (back) to the host (or perhaps just one such axis does not, as in this source).

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

I think the #slipstrike sources are pretty common. Seeing the faint tail that veers away from the host galaxy depends on how faint you go, but @JeanTate definitely correct that these are different than FRIIs that go straight back. I haven't seen anyone try to correlate this morphology with other properties -- definitely interesting to do.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

Thanks DocR. 😃

I'm thinking of starting a thread on how to analyze the #slipstrike sources; could be interesting to get other volunteers' and Science Team members' perspectives ...

Posted

I think that over the years, you have collated quite a few of these you term #slipstrikes and so yes, it would be good for you to put them all in one thread so that others can contribute to this collection. What is your largest source (on angular scales) so far? Reason I ask is because it could be a nearby radio galaxy which is well studied and will provide you with more insight into these sources.

Posted

A very belated thanks, ivywong! 😃

I have now moved at least the core part of your - excellent - recommendation to the front of my "burner" (I wonder how cross-cultural/language "back burner" is, meaning "making a low priority"?). Stay tuned! 😄

Posted

In ARG0000m73, the host is the zsp 0.474 broadline QSO SDSS J124139.72+493405.4:

But how to describe the radio morphology (more obvious in the ARG field than this FIRST cutout)?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0003giv the host seems to be zsp 0.615 SDSS J115503.58+051910.1:

But how to describe the radio morphology? Is it, for example, a #hybrid?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0002ne5, the host may be zsp 0.466 SDSS J160712.92+151850.4:

How to describe the radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

What, exactly, is going on here? Not only in ARG0003pby, but also the the north:

One host seems to be STAR SDSS J132955.10+020711.2 (NED zph 1.725):

How to best describe the different radio morphologies?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG000299g, the radio source seems to have a bent hourglass morphology, albeit somewhat unusual:

What is odd, however, is that the host (zsp 1.681 QSO SDSS J101045.20+214100.8) is not "in the middle", but in the center of the N lobe, making it a small triple! How then to account for/describe the bent S(W) lobe?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG00027rm is a radio source that's sorta a #double. with host likely zsp 0.546 SDSS J120938.96+222059.9:

Yes, I've come across many a radio source with complex lobes, but they are usually much closer (z<~0.2) than this one. And few seem to have morphologies as complex as this one has.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Likewise, in ARG00039xh, it's a sorta #double, with likely host zsp 0.589 SDSS J103410.05+073605.5; complex radio morphology from a z>0.5 host:

What role, if any, does the (likely way in the foreground) blue fuzzy galaxy (?) play in the observed radio morphology?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Two to add today.

First, from supernovahunter87 May someone explain the interesting radio shape and how to describe the morphology?, ARG000104c:

And ARG0001np4:

In the ARG field, the contours almost touch ... well to the S of the (likely) host! 😮 As a bonus, there seems to be a nice #1-sided source to the SW ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Several today.

ARG0001if8 contains what may be a #double ... but what a strange double it is! If so, what's the host? Perhaps it's not a double?

ARG00019fi contains another strange #double, if that's what it is ...why are both lobes so big yet both #1-contour? What's the host?

ARG00001a1 is, undoubtedly, a #triple, but an extremely #asym one! 😮 It looks like a garden-variety #double in NVSS, albeit with a somewhat weaker NW lobe than SE:

But look at the radio emission at higher (FIRST) resolution:

I'm saving the best for last: ARG00038gu. If the radio emission is from a single host - which might be zph 0.48 SDSS J163357.12+080457.1 - why are the lobes so #asym? Yes, it's likely a #hybrid; is it also #restarted? And why is the midline for each lobe so different?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Two for now.

ARG00003id contains two somewhat extended radio sources, with an IR source ~midway between the peaks of each (no apparent SDSS photometric source there). That suggests that it's a #double. But the lobes - if lobes they be - point in dramatically different directions! What's going on?

In ARG0001k9a there's what looks like an unusual #double in the center-W, and to the SW an #overedge #triple with a very dramatic-looking E lobe; again, what's going on?:

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0001qs1, are the two radio islands related? If so, how to describe the radio morphology (other than #double)? And what is the host?

Posted