Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Very strong Radio and red bits

• Ptd by Ptd

enter image description here

SDSS J021054.06+020304.9
    Not a 100% sure this is the right galaxy from several nearby but this is one of the more intense sources I can recall coming across, it even seems to have a halo of artifacts around it. But it also has red bits sticking out of it?

Looking in Aladin lead me to this http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=PMN+J0210%2B0203&NbIdent=1 Aladin shows this, which I presume is also the strong Radio source in FIRST, in two slightly different locations near the galaxy I've posted above, but one is in the red material so are those red bits actually a galaxy in and of themselves?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Ptd's comment.

Hi @Ptd - this is very interesting. It looks like a higher redshift version of a green DRAGN. How many of these have you or anyone found?

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

same that ARG0003piw

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

thanks!

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd in response to 42jkb's comment.

Hi @42jkb

I can't immediately recall seeing anything else quite like this, I've seen a few compacts this strong I think, but can't remember such red sticky out bits, are they sticking out of the galaxy or are they a separate entity?

If I see any more how would you like them hashtagged?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ptd's comment.

'Red outflow' zph 0.335±0.055 SDSS J021054.06+020304.9 is not, I think (sadly), the host:

enter image description here enter image description here

Rather, it's likely zph 0.347±0.090 SDSS J021053.54+020302.9:

enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

@Ptd - yes a hashtag would be great, use #outflow as that way we can collect red, green, blue, white, etc. outflows. these outflows are indeed part of the host galaxy.

@jeantate - yes it doesn't look like the host. However, they are close in redshift and maybe the radio has passes through the other galaxy causing the red outflow. Just a thought. Definitely requires followup.

Posted