Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

need help

• Meyyy_1 by Meyyy_1

Hello,
    I'm new to this. I'd like to ask you how can someone be sure he's classifying correctly. I have already read the tutorial about classifying back holes but I still cannot understand if I'm doing it right or no.
    Thnaks for your help in advance.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo (RGZ), Meyyy_1!

For this particular field, I see two radio sources (things with contours, white when you move the slider to the left), and an infrared (IR, WISE) source somewhat overlapping the E (left; astronomers reverse E and W, though they keep N and S the same) radio source.

I'd select the two radio sources (by clicking on them), click Done (they'll turn a cyan color); then select the IR (WISE) source (by clicking on it; a yellow circle will appear), click Done, and then Finish.

Is that, more or less, what you did? If so, then I think you're classifying correctly!

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

Hi Meyyy_1 welcome to the crew.

The answer is, anything you see gets shown to many people, I think it can vary exactly how many depending on how difficult the object is to work out. So the level of certainty of how good a job we as volunteers have done, is based on the consensus view. If 10 out of 10 people all click on something in much the same way, they'll probably be right. if only 6 out of 10 agree, its something which is harder to work out and maybe it needs to be shown to more volunteers in the hope that a consensus does emerge.

A good way to educate yourself in the way you described, is to look in the SDSS link after you've classified something, for example that very bright IR source is a star, but just above it is a very dim galaxy SDSS J100726.26+050356.8 which is probably the same object as the patch of IR that is almost but not quite equidistant between the pair of Radio contours. And I suspect the latter is the culprit here.

Posted

• Cardiffian by Cardiffian

I'm pretty new to it as well and I think you have to take it on faith that what you are doing is actually useful. I think it's down to the fact that people are good at pattern recognition, you don't think you are doing anything clever when you recognise one of your friends in a photo but you are actually doing something that even the most sophisticated computer would struggle with. Of course I could be wrong...
    The other thing is to keep having a look at the posts people put on here as you do gradually get a feel for how the data is being used.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo! What JeanTate and Ptd have said is true. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as we would rather answer questions then have people no longer participate. After you have classified a source, click on the discuss button and tell us how you classified the object and we can help out to say if that is how we would have classified it or if we would have done something else. I'll let you in on a secret - there are many times when radio astronomers don't agree!

Don't forget about the spotters guide on the left of the screen if you get stuck!

Posted