Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

FIRSTJ085548.2+420352

• Pinadva by Pinadva

How to classify this object?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Pinadva's comment.

Welcome to RGZ, Pinadva!

It sure is interesting! 😄

At the 0-th level, I'd say it's a #doublelobe, with host zph 0.238±0.036 SDSS J085549.15+420420.1. This seems to me to be a rather strange galaxy; yes, it has the colors (etc) of an elliptical, but it's quite out-of-round (its "ellipticity", as astronomers call the quantitative measure of out-of-roundness, is unusual for an elliptical), particularly for a galaxy that's hosting such radio lobes. Perhaps it's an #SDRAGN candidate? 😮

enter image description here

However, I see two pairs of lobes:

• an outer, very messy/diffuse pair, which actually may be more than one
    • and inner, considerably brighter pair; these are so close together they look like an #hourglass

That makes it #restarted

Furthermore, as this version of the FIRST data makes clear, the jets which created the radio emission (lobes) seem to have changed direction over time, resulting in a twisting or corkscrew shape:

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• Pinadva by Pinadva

Thanks!

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

And here's the overlay. Quite a spectacular emission.

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.

Here's a zoomed in image of SDSS J085549.15+420420.1. Seems to have a #red-outflow ring to the north and some #red-outflow to the south also.

As to whether this is an #SDRAGN candidate, it has a fracDev_g, _r, of 0.912, and 0.601; and an expAB_g of 0.516 and expAB_r of 0.458 respectively. For c, the inverse concentration index, it has a figure of 0.362 for the g band and 0.364 for the r band.

Could be an #SDRAGN candidate. Certainly an interesting looking galaxy.

Posted