Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

What is the RGZ ID of NGC 5252 ?

• zutopian by zutopian

What is the RGZ ID of NGC 5252?

I ask because of following paper, which recently showed up on arxiv.:

The extended radio jet of an off-nuclear low-mass AGN in NGC 5252

PS: It is likewise a galaxy with a voorwerpje.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

Good question! 😃

First, you could use the RGZ Search function (I recommend just "5252"), and I think you'll find your posts are the only hits.

Next, you could follow the method explained in the I have a position, how do I find which ARG fields contain it (if any)? SOLUTION thread. To do that, you need to know NGC 5252's position. There are many ways to do that; my fave is to use NED. Using that, I learned that the J2000.0** position is (13h38m15.963s, +04d32m33.29s), or (204.5665139, 4.5425817). Using that method, I could not find an ARG field, so it seems it's not a FIRST source we volunteers get/got to classify ... but we know that RGZ's FIRST coverage is less than 100%, so this is not particularly surprising.

But maybe NGC 5252 is not a FIRST source? How could we check that? By going to the FIRST cutout page, and entering the coordinates (a.k.a. position), in hms/dms format. If you do that, you'll see that NGC 5252 is indeed a FIRST radio source.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

** why J2000.0? Short answer: because that's what FIRST, SDSS, and the table in the thread above uses. Longer answer ... (later)

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Thanks for your comprehensive reply!

Since NGC 5252 is a SDSS galaxy and likewise a FIRST radio source, I am going to do a post in the discussion "Suggestions for overlay images".

Posted