Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Position of infrared on radio

• TheSchnits by TheSchnits

Does the infrared observation need to be in the center of the radio observation?
    The lower radio observation is the one I am questioning. The infrared signal is not where Iā€™m guessing the center of the radio signal.

Thanks
    Jim

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Welcome to RGZ, TheSchnits! šŸ˜ƒ

Does the infrared observation need to be in the center of the radio observation?

No, it does not. The galaxy with the supermassive black hole, responsible for the radio emission, may be offset from the center of the two radio lobes. This can happen for several reasons, such as a projection effect, or the jets (which create the radio lobes) being "bent" by the inter-galactic medium through which they travel (once they leave the host galaxy).

The lower radio observation is the one I am questioning. The infrared signal is not where Iā€™m guessing the center of the radio signal.

In this case, the reason for the offset is, I think, more interesting: this is actually a #triple (rather than a #double)! šŸ˜®

The WISE IR source at the NE (top left) tip of the lower lobe is the host galaxy, and it is a strong emitter of radio. Because the resolution of FIRST (the radio survey whose contours we see) is limited, we can't distinguish the core as a separate source from the SW (lower right) lobe.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! šŸ˜„

Posted