Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Skyview ARG0001u0z/FIRSTJ135306.4+280848

• supernovahunter87 by supernovahunter87

Hello! I am an swedish secondary school student who will do a scientific project with an astronomical focus this year. Therefore, I would like to discuss this galax due to its interesting radio shape relative to its IR shape.

Also, I am in need of advice and interesting issues that concern the area of โ€‹โ€‹radio galaxies and active galactic nuclei

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Welcome to RGZ, supernovahunter87! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I would like to discuss this galax due to its interesting radio shape relative to its IR shape.

In this field there are three radio sources, in a shape we call #triple. The central one is the #core, and coincides with the host galaxy, which is (I think) SDSS J135308.34+280908.8:

enter image description here

The pinkish color suggests that it's actually a quasar (or QSO), a particularly energetic kind of active galactic nucleus (AGN). But as there's no spectrum, we can't be certain.

As you have no doubt seen, there are quite a few comments on this, in the panel to the left!

Also, I am in need of advice and interesting issues that concern the area of โ€‹โ€‹radio galaxies and active galactic nuclei

My goodness, where to start? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Perhaps a big one is why some AGN have very strong radio emission, and why some do not?

Hope this helps and happy hunting! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted