Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Marking the jets and black holes

• flipit4u by flipit4u

I just wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly. It seems as though every picture already has it marked / highlighted and I'm just confirming those. It appears when each image shows up there is a mark on the area I would mark and that's what I do. Maybe there are some that have others that were missed and that's what they are looking for as well.. Any input would be appreciated.

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Do you mean that the radio contours are already marked? Or that they are showing up and disappearing when move the slider?

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

What you see is two astronomical images: radio image (black-blue with contours when there is source detected) and infrared (the orange-white). When you slide to the left you can see only radio image, but if you slide to the right you will see both the infrared image and radio contours.

Sometimes the infrared sources overlap with radio contours (compact radio source) - it is then very obvious and you may think they are already marked (mark them nevertheless). Other times they won't overlap though and what you will see is two radio sources with infrared in between of them. This case is when your marking of these sources is especially invaluable for the astronomers - it would be difficult to devise a computer algorithm that could reliably do that.

Anyway, there is also a third possibility, when there are many radio sources and only one infrared, and one of the radio sources will overlap with the infrared - you would need to mark all of the radio components (which in this case will be one radio galaxy) and the infrared, like here: http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG00007b1

@flipit4u is this what you were asking about?

Posted