Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

overedge probable triple and estimating the size of the emission

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

The central radio emission looks like a plume originating from the source to the left hand side. I do not see the co-ordinates to check but would expect to find another plume opposite, which would make this an #overedge #triple . It might also be quite a large source, depending on the distance to the host galaxy, although the lobe seems to be no more than about six times the diameter of the IR/radio source distant from the centre of the would-be triple, so unless the galaxy is unusually large this would not be a giant. (Am I right to think about it in these terms? Is the size of a region of IR emission related to the size of the host galaxy, or is it only a region of recent star formation within a galaxy?).

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Good call! I didn't look up redshift, but don't think it's a #giant. The size of the IR emission is not a good indicator of any kind of size. Basically, you are looking at the telescope resolution for most images, or blends of sources. For very nearby galaxies, you can see the actual galaxy structure, and then you are looking at emission associated with stars.

Larger FIRST field

Posted

• HAndernach by HAndernach scientist, translator

I looked up the radio core and found it to be SDSS J124607.04+255351.4 with
    z_phot~0.6+-0.2. With a radio size of 2.8' (the E lobe is indeed there!) it would
    be the first real giant of just over 1 Mpc to be found in RGZ! Congrats!

PS: the IR size can indeed tell the size of the (optical) galaxy, but for
    this it needs to be fairly nearby (so that it becomes larger than the
    telescope resolution of WISE, of about 5 arcseconds).

Posted