Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

2/3 of big triple

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Although I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to start a new thread every time I encounter an #overedge #triple , this one is a beauty. Given the amount of detail visible in the plume, I suspect it's a fairly nearby object but the large separation between the plume and the host source may still mean is it a large object, even though it's unlikely to be a giant.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

I don't think this is a triple

see bigger image

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

@WizardHowl and @DolorousEdd . First, I want to mention that I had other projects to do today, but you keep coming up with interesting things that I must stop and look at!

Second, let me suggest that for sources that are potential "giants" - I'm not worried about whether they meet the formal 1Mpc criterion - just that they are large angular size and therefore need to be checked -- can we post these all in the "Finding the Giants (NVSS)" discussion thread? then we'll have them all in one discussion place.

Third, this is indeed 2/3 of a triple. However, the northern lobe is very smooth, and was not picked up by FIRST. You can however, see it in NVSS.

Left FIRST, Right NVSS

The spectroscopic redshift is 0.217, putting its size at about 940 kpc, just shy of official giant status, but close enough in my book to be interesting. The lack of compact features in the north is important, because it tells us something about the lifetime of the jets that created this source. In the north, the jet either dissipated or turned off earlier than in the south.

Posted