Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003imp / FIRSTJ114211.3+043746

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Hmmm

NVSS image ( extracted from FITS file ) shows a second signal nearby, but there is nothing on the image from VLA FIRST

enter image description here

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

never had a look at it before my holidays! anyway, exactly as you see in your nvss image it's a double lobe radio galaxy the 2nd lobe of which we don't seein the RGZ FIRST image on the left. I've checked the sdss counterpart and it looks like it'a a nice relatively nearby galaxy at z=0.16 and yes, that's the IR source to the right

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

eh, i never responded to your doubts! So that is correct, the second NVSS signal is fainter than the main which we also see in the FIRST maps - we may not see the second signal in FIRST because it may be for example of too low surface brightness and so the FIRST survey, which has resolution of 5 arcsec, won't see such signal. On the other hand NVSS has a resolution of 45 arcsec, 9 times lower than FIRST, and so is capable sometimes of detecting signals that FIRST would "resolve out" as we call it. Of course it's not only resolution but also the sensitivity of the telescope that will matter here, but with these two surveys we are looking at fairly similar sensitivities, 2.5 vs 0.5 mJy/beam, and the fainter NVSS-detected signal is around 50 mJy

Well, that could be one of the possibilities; hope it's clear(-ish)

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

@akapinska

Thanks!

Posted