Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

large triple with no IR counterpart?

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

This looks like two plumes with a compact radio core, however there is no IR counterpart for the core; although it is adjacent to an IR source I would expect the core to be well aligned between IR and radio. I'm not sure if the core is strong enough to be considered ifrs but this could be quite a large #triple if the host galaxy is too faint for the survey on account of distance. It might also be that the IR source could be the origin of the lobes and the radio core just a background radio galaxy along our line of sight.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to WizardHowl's comment.

FIRST shows a pretty complex field, including two doublelobes offstage right (the fainter a ghost of the brighter?):

enter image description here

There's no apparent counterpart to the radio core (or either of the other radio sources) in SDSS.

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Wow, what a field! Looks like three separate sources to me. See image at http://umn.edu/~larry/RGZ/ARG00027hb.jpg
    I've circled the centers of the three sources I think are there. The IDs are not clear. Northern one is probably distant galaxy, no SDSS, seen in WISE.

Posted