Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

lobe of overedge source?

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Is this a lobe of an overedge double or triple, or emission from a faint source? If one half of a double, the brighter IR source at the top, just left of centre, might be in about the right place to be the origin of the radio signal.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

I vote for overedge double

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

This is an exceedingly strange source. The northern counterpart to this apparent southern hot spot is itself a double with a strange chain of optical objects. See the figure here: http://umn.edu/~larry/RGZ/ARG0002zxb.png
    Can one of the optical/IR experts look at the colors on this object and see if it's unusual. The large discrepancy on the photoz's and the large errors suggest there might be something funny with the colors. (WISE colors at bottom)

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

These sorts of colors are common, IMHO, caused by misalignment between filters? differential refraction? differential seeing? (I really don't know). In the field centered on SDSS J134809.89+105837.4 (the SDSS object in your PNG), there are several with strange gradients (I picked just three):

enter image description here

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to DocR's comment.

The galaxy you highlight is right between the two northern radio hotspots but if this is really the northern lobe of a double, then from the SDSS image the best-aligned optical source for producing the radio emission for this large double seems to be a faint galaxy at RA: 207.03358 DEC: 10.95205 which is marked as SDSS J134808.05+105707.3 and has a photoz around 0.33 to 0.38. The brighter galaxy just to the right of this in the SDSS image could also be the source and has a very slightly higher redshift (0.37 to 0.39) but the two are well within each other's error bars.

Posted