Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

large overedge double?

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

The central radio emission seems to be a plume and there is a weak radio source (not enough to generate a contour) from a potential host galaxy in the middle right of the image. If so, this could be quite a large source. Do FIRST/NVSS show anything overedge?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to WizardHowl's comment.

Maybe. Here's NVSS:

enter image description here

And here's FIRST:

enter image description here

This is an odd image: the color scheme is more like the beta images than the live RGZ ones (which are more orange/yellow/white).

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi Jean & WizardHowl,

@Jean: The NVSS source is located beyond the edge of the FIRST frame that you posted. See http://third.ucllnl.org/cgi-bin/firstimage?RA=10.0 54.0 54.27&Dec=%2B20.0 21.0 22.7&Equinox=J2000&ImageSize=9&MaxInt=10

My suspicion is that this is field has 2 separate sources and they are not emission coming from the same galaxy. Therefore the source that WizardHowl found over the edge (or as shown in the southern part of the 5arcmin x 5arcmin NVSS image) is a separate pair of jets.

Hope this helps 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Hi Ivy.

The NVSS source I meant is the fainter blob to the W (right) of the central source. It's also a faint smudge in the FIRST image, at ~(10h53m50s, +20d21m22s), ~(-1.2', 0) offset from the central source (I didn't check, but I vaguely recall that the scale of the NVSS images, cf the FIRST ones, is such that these two sources will be ~co-located). This fainter blob is what I took WizardHowl to be referring to ("there is a weak radio source (not enough to generate a contour) from a potential host galaxy in the middle right of the image").

Posted