Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

J084017.83 +175722.7 - fading blob?

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

This thing has caught my eye

I am just curious, it is visible on the VLSS image , but barely visible on the GB6 survey image

Did a quick search on NED, but cann't find a match, perhaps this one?

Seems to be completely resolved on the FIRST image

NVSS 0.2 ( 08 40 17.83 +17 57 22.7 )

enter image description here

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

This is a very unusual one-sided source. The compact component at the bottom is the host, a faint SDSS source J084014.42+175317.5, classified as a star, m_r=22.2, no photoz.
    Nice little jet pointing north from the FIRST compact component.(green) Intrinsically 1 sided?![enter image description here]

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Here's my overlay:

And here's the SDSS image of the 'star host', SDSS J084014.42+175317.5:

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center per the ARG image (ARG0002hgp; J2000.0). "z_ph" is an SDSS photometric redshift of the galaxy in the center.

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

To me it looks like the large region of radio emission is more likely to be originating from the ETG-like galaxy in the densest part of the emission, to its upper-left (SDSS J084018.89+175744.8 Z_sp=0.116 looks disturbed). To me, the compact source at the centre of JeanTate's handy overlay looks like a background source unrelated to the large-scale emission. An ETG at Z_sp=0.116 also seems a more likely source to produce emission on this scale, resembling a #nat . If the ETG were not there, then I would probably agree with you.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to WizardHowl's comment.

I'll add "do an NVSS overlay image centered on that ETG, and zoomed in somewhat" to my list. 😃

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Given JeanTate's useful contours I could also say, assuming the host identification of Larry, that we may be looking here at heavily projected source - basically so much that we still see one lobe, but the other one just disappears in the perspective. These don't seem to be really that rare sources.

Posted

• astro.tom by astro.tom scientist

I don't see quite how you would do this with projection. On the other hand, we really don't have good theoretical models for making intrinsically one-sided jets (the small one-sided jet could be just beaming, but then there should be a lobe on the other side).

Posted