Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

two sources with unusual shapes

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Central #plume and a separate #doublelobe was how I classified but with their irregular shapes it's hard to be certain of the sources.

Maybe SDSS J134554.04+365513.6 Z_sp=0.547 for the plume, classed as a broadline QSO according to the interactive spectrum but not all like a normal QSO in appearance - it's a very red object for a QSO at this redshift and looks more like a normal elliptical galaxy. The spectrum has strong emission lines more characteristic of star formation but not as broad as the QSOs I've otherwise seen, although I would hesitate to call them narrow; seems like a half-way house in a lot of ways, this source, so I'm not sure what it really is. In FIRST it looks a little like a doublelobe but there's also diffuse emission around, so I would not exclude the possibility of a wat/nat, either.

The doublelobe is an odd shape and I was tempted to think of the lobes as separate sources. Maybe that is the correct classification but if so there would be no IR match for either so I figured one of the IR sources in between them was more likely to be responsible. The brighter of these is a blend of several sources, the most likely host of which is probably SDSS J134555.19+365359.4 Z_ph~0.25 which is an ordinary-looking elliptical galaxy. The fainter IR source in between the two lobes is a pink-ish smudge SDSS J134556.19+365412.0 Z_ph~0.57-0.6 which is too faint to say much about.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Looks like a solid structure on the NVSS image

WENSS survey 0.3 degree image

two separate sources?

enter image description here

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

It's initially tempting to think of this as a large doublelobe from both NVSS and WENSS but looking at the same area in FIRST shows that the lower source is an unrelated doublelobe, possibly FR1-like but it's hard to be sure. The problems with the sources in this RGZ image remain... .

Your point about the NVSS structure may be the right approach - I wonder if this could be a strong nat and we're seeing two particularly dense regions of the tail as well as the brighter origin.

Posted