Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002247 - a giant?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

SDSS J171039.99+243834.6, with z_ph 0.488±0.1123/0.455±0.1251, seems to be the host of a nice #triple:

enter image description here

I measure the lobes as being ~5.8' apart, which translates to a projected physical distance of ~1.0 Mpc. So, a giant?

What are the two apparent #compacts, in the S of the ARG0002247 field? Stay tuned! 😃

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J171039.99+243834.6.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

I measure the lobes as being ~5.8' apart,

? I measured ~3'

which translates to a projected physical distance of ~1.0 Mpc. So, a giant?

They are visibly connected in the NVSS image

Yes, with ph_z = 0.455 and ~3' could be 1Mpc

To quote HAndernach

B2 1708+24B, no previous ID; SDSS J171039.99+243834.6, z_ph~0.47: NVSS extends ~1' beyond SE hotspot, size 3.9'=1.3 Mpc! weird morphology

I belive that

NVSS extends ~1' beyond SE hotspot

Belong to unrelated compact source, so the size is 3'

seen in this picture

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

I measure the lobes as being ~5.8' apart,

? I measured ~3'

Yes, I mistyped 😦 I actually used 2.9' in my calculations, so my estimate of ~1 Mpc is/was OK.

As you note, it's the same structure as in ARG000220b

A zoomed out, FIRST and NVSS overlay coming up!

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

would be good to see the Wise band 1 overlay on the 1st image too since the host candidate is not so obvious in sdss... just a thought...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

A zoomed out, FIRST and NVSS overlay coming up!

The SE extension seen in NVSS seems to be an artifact; there are two unrelated compact sources there (or perhaps a doublelobe), 'hiding' behind the bright star (cool red SDSS artifact, eh?):

Maybe I should re-do this one, with the contours in white? or blue?

The images in this post were created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The objects at the centers of the image are (upper) SDSS J171039.99+243834.6 and (lower two) SDSS J171044.08+243601.5

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

would be good to see the Wise band 1 overlay on the 1st image too since the host candidate is not so obvious in sdss

FIRST contours in red, WISE band 1 (3.4μ) in magenta, and WISE bin 4 (22μ) in lime:

The images in this post were created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the images is SDSS J171039.99+243834.6

Posted