Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Did SDSS miss one?

• Ptd by Ptd

This IR source looks like it might be the little red splotch at 166.05341,20.00412 in SDSS which looks to me like a galaxy, but it doesn't seem to be a SDSS target?

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0003mhx

Not a radio source but looks like there is a galaxy at 213.09986,3.2209 peeking out from behind a star.

Before I get too keen doing it, is it worthwhile pointing out galaxies that the SDSS might have missed?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks @Ptd. This is why we cross-match by default to WISE. The galaxy is quite distant with a photo-z of ~ 0.66. This is typically too faint/distant for SDSS.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ptd's comment.

In ARG0003mhx:

enter image description here

Not a radio source but looks like there is a galaxy at 213.09986,3.2209 peeking out from behind a star.

Hmm ... position doesn't seem to have anything to do with that ARG image ... however, the three large galaxies - the E one of which is the host of the radio emission - seem to be surrounded by some #green stuff; is it real?

Before I get too keen doing it, is it worthwhile pointing out galaxies that the SDSS might have missed?

Personal opinion (rather delayed): yes, but only if the source seems to be a host.

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J124025.36+154049.4.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ptd's comment.

In ARG0002cvn:

This IR source looks like it might be the little red splotch at 166.05341,20.00412 in SDSS which looks to me like a galaxy ...

Not sure about the IR, but it's pretty clear-cut that "the little red splotch" is the host.

... but it doesn't seem to be a SDSS target?

Correct, it's not a "photometric object". This is not uncommon in SDSS.

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The image is centered at ~(166.0536, 20.004).

Posted