Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Associated IR sources?

• stoppingby by stoppingby

Are the two IR sources (closest to the radio source) associated with the radio source even if there appears to be no overlap? What does it tell us? Also, would one classify this as #hourglass and/or #doublelobe? Thanks 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to stoppingby's comment.

I'd call it a #triple ... the galaxy causing the radio emission (the 'host') is the brightest source (so it's the #core); to the NE (top left) and SW (bottom right) are two other sources, which I think could be #lobes. Without the central source, I'd've classified this as #doublelobe, and noted that it's quite asymmetric. The lobes are not very bright (radio-wise), and we're seeing just the hotspots (for the SW lobe).

One odd thing: the core seems offset from the position of the host (SDSS J110432.42+355214.0), in the ARG field, and also in SDSS (the host is, very likely, a QSO, not a star*):

enter image description here

*NED says it's a QSO, with a (spectroscopic?) redshift of 1.630

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

One odd thing: the core seems offset from the position of the host (SDSS J110432.42+355214.0), in the ARG field, and also in SDSS (the host is, very likely, a QSO, not a star*)

My FIRST/SDSS contour overlay bears this out, so #IRradiooffset #opticalradiooffset:

enter image description here

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J110432.42+355214.0

Posted