Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001xv8 - SDRAGN?

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

What sort of morphology it is?

Usually ETGs are pretty straightforward

enter image description here

SDSS Link

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

It's a 'not boring elliptical', so by my definition it is definitely an #SDRAGN candidate! 😃

Very nice find, well done!!

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

I think this requires an overlay for further clarification.

Posted

FIRST (red) / NVSS (blue)

IMO SDSS J172107.89+262432.1 is clearly the host

But really what sort of morphology it is? disturbed ETG?

Posted

What sort of morphology it is?

Meert+(2015) is "a catalogue of 2D, point spread function-corrected de Vacouleurs, Sérsic, de Vacouleurs+Exponential, and Sérsic+Exponential fits of ˜7 × 105 spectroscopically selected galaxies drawn from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) Data Release 7."

This strange galaxy (ID# 119607 in their catalog) is one of those ~700k which they modeled. The 'elliptical/spiral/uncertain' flag is 'uncertain'. The estimated 'bulge/total' ratio is 0.41, quite typical for an early spiral. Their program had a tough time modelling the bulge: the estimated radius is 4.45±3.42", and the Sérsic index 8 (i.e. very extended). However, it's very close to 'spherical' (the b/a ratio is 0.97±0.04). The disk - modeled as an exponential - has an estimated radius of 5.02±0.15", with a b/a ratio of 0.63±0.02.

In short, it seems to be a disk galaxy with a large, somewhat unusual, bulge. So, one of the best SDRAGN candidates to date! 😃 Great discovery!! 😃 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I started a thread on this - and one other object - over in GZ Talk, From RGZ, question about the morphology of two SDSS objects. It will be interesting to see what comments zooites there post ...

Posted

Just FYI the area around SDSS J172107.89+262432.1 ( and even SDSS J172107.89+262432.1 itself ) seems to be imaged by Subaru telescope

Posted

Here is an example of image cutout from Subaru

Link to download fits file ~49Mb

I hope you will have much more luck with it than I ( it does have SDSS J172107.89+262432.1 in FOV )

Posted

As seen by Subaru

IMO doubtful improvement

Posted

Wow!

IMO doubtful improvement

IMO a big improvement ... to me it's clear this is a disturbed, early-type, spiral, possibly a merger.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Interesting, it's starting to look like an early-type that has ripped apart its companion galaxy into a stream so really, a merger system rather than spiral arms. I reckon that if one were to fit the galaxy with a elliptical galaxy's Sersic profile and subtract from the above Subaru image, you might find that it will fully take out the core of this galaxy.....

Posted

cubehelix

inverted greyscale

HTH

Posted