Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

I've been getting a lot of quite challenging objects to classify lately, you too?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Title says it all. I'd say I get a simple compact perhaps only 10-20% of the time now, and even relatively straight-forward doublelobes and triples are perhaps in the minority. It sure is more fun to get these complicated/difficult ones! 😃 Especially if they remain puzzling after looking at FIRST, NVSS, and SDSS fields!

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

It sure is more fun to get these complicated/difficult ones! Especially if they remain puzzling after looking at FIRST, NVSS, and SDSS fields!

I beg to differ

This is sort of "fun" which can send you in a week-long binge drinking if you are not careful

enter image description here

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

XDDDD

and that you are experts and know better what it is you're seeing! I sometimes feel Iike ...

but a happy monkey ;P

Posted

• csunjoto by csunjoto

Eh, in the opposite i get more single source radio sometimes overlay with IR sometimes not. The last one make me almost automatically see NVSS hoping for the giant to pop up but it seems all of the giant already identified.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Wow, this is interesting. If you read our paper, the subjects are presented pretty much randomly to our participants so it is unusual that some of you are finally seeing the more difficult images. In this project, we have certainly tried to bias our subjects towards more complicated sources because the compact sources are easily matched by simple position matching to large infrared survey catalogues.

While they are more interesting, I do agree that many are very puzzling and would be great if we had large radio telescope in our backyard that we can simply do follow-up verification work across several frequencies to get their radio "colours".

Keep up the great work!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

I just checked the most recent 13 classifications/fields I got; here's a rough breakdown:

• just one field with only a compact
    • just one other field with a single source with simple morphology, and no other source (it's a triple)
    • two fields with compacts plus what I think is at least one artifact (i.e. a 'few pixels' single contour radio source)
    • three fields with what I think is a single source/system with strange/unusual morphology (asymmetric triple, strange triple, and ??!??)
    • six fields with more than one source/system, inc overedge: I expect most of these will appear in at least one other field, possibly several. Three of these six include at least one source/system that is strange/unusual/odd
    • in these 13, there were no systems with an overedge component (i.e. potential giants); however, I have had several such fields to classify ...

the compact sources are easily matched by simple position matching to large infrared survey catalogues

Of the seven sources I marked compact, three have no (obvious) IR counterparts; I wonder what the simple position match algorithms will do with those?

Also, there are ~eight detached sources in these 13 fields that I think are part of larger structures (mostly triples); other zooites may classify some of these as independent compacts (at least some are close enough to IR sources that this would seem plausible). Then there are the small, faint (~few pixels within the single contour) sources which could be compacts, or just artifacts (at least one is close to - but not at the same position - as an IR source). And the many artifacts in the 'bright source' field.

Posted