Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Irregular white SDSS J144826.06+042756.6

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

Sorry if I make some mistake, I'm a rookie with Aladin. The host seems to me the white and uncertain SDSS J144826.06+042756.6. Can be considered sDRAGN candidate? In other hand AllWISE + SDSS J144825.71+042802.9 is very near, only to 8.6'', and can be the host...

Blue are AllWISE sources. Yellow are SDSS sources.

enter image description here

We can apply here this about fracDeV? http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000006/discussions/DRG0000edd.

fraDev=0 surely a spiral; =1, likely an elliptical.

• fracDeV_u 0.09981318.
    • fracDeV_g 0.
    • fracDeV_r 0.
    • fracDeV_i 0.05023016.
    • fracDeV_z 0.155613.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

SDSS J144826.06+042756.6 is likely a blue elliptical galaxy ( yeah, they exist )

Posted

Oooops thanks! (and sorry for the change of board XD)

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Here's SDSS J144826.06+042756.6:

It may not be a spiral, but it's certainly not a boring elliptical! 😃

I think it's definitely an SDRAGN candidate, but maybe not a good one 😦 ... I think the host may be the tiny, red, non-PO at the top, possibly a member of the distant cluster that includes the two orange smudges (SDSS says they're stars; I think they're galaxies):

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

usually their ID in SDSS is Galaxy starforming

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

From the fracDev parameter values, it's unlikely to be an elliptical ... a g- or r-band value > 0.5 would suggest an elliptical, but many spirals/disk galaxies have values > 0.5, even 1 (long story). The reverse, however, is rarely true: if the g-band value is <0.4 (and it's a clean image), then it's almost never an elliptical (sure, there are caveats, but none would apply for such a large, blue, bright object like this).

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to JeanTate's comment.

Frankly, it looks like one of variation of starburst irregular galaxy

There is another problem with this source: radio axis is not perfectly aligned with SDSS J144826.06+042756.6

Posted

Yes, too much problems in this case...

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

thanks all for the great discussion here ! i agree with dolorous_edd, the misalignment is enough for me to think that the host is indeed at higher redshift....

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

maybe this is one of these starburst irregular galaxy with radio emision, or perhaps its another overlap...

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0000bfr SDSS J112543.33+553112.7

Posted

Must be that my ignorance make me to see ghosts ;P... I thought they were rare objects, but now it seems I find most of them

Host seems SDSS J130329.66+410423.6

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG00013lf

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to sisifolibre's comment.

If zph 0.38 SDSS J130329.66+410423.6 is indeed the host, then it's very interesting! 😄

Please, every time you find one of these 'ghosts', note it ... and not just in a Comment, but in a Discussion thread (doesn't have to be this one, or a separate one for each object) ...

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes, it is a host

Posted