Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001kwt

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Host looks a bit unusual

enter image description here

SDSS J112802.55+323045.6

Thought it is just bad data , but in DR 7 it looks the same

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

Zoomed in:

Perhaps it's a slow-moving asteroid? I'd need to check, but I think this 'rainbow' color typical of asteroids, particularly when the positions for the three (g, r, i) bands are so close together.

Posted

Perhaps it's a slow-moving asteroid?

In that case, it has to be a veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy slllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwww asteroid because it looks the same even in the DR 5

That is unless it moves directly at the observer in which case it would be a very bad news for the observer , hehe

From DR5

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

Not necessarily ... with some exceptions, as I understand it, all SDSS fields were imaged just once; the different data releases are to add spectroscopic data, new/different pipeline photometric analyses, and new fields (the big exception is Stripe 82).

Also, many asteroids have orbits which appear, to us, to have stationary points; like Mars', where it appears to go from prograde to retrograde motion.

Here, for example, is one that's a bit similar (from the GZ forum Asteroids thread):

It's brighter, and had apparent motion that was a bit faster (and in a different direction), but the color sequence - green-yellow-red-blue - is the same. 😃

Posted

I understand it, all SDSS fields were imaged just once

not really AFAIK can be imaged up to few times

It also Allwise source and can be found in USNO b1 catalog

It has to be Galaxy + asteroid overlap

Posted