Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG00003g6: unrecognized r-band mag 16 QSO?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I often come across SDSS sources which I'm pretty sure are hosts of radio emission (compact, double lobe, triple, ...) but which are classified in SDSS as STAR. Fairly often NED says they are, in fact, QSOs, per some paper or other. Mostly such objects are relatively faint, rarely brighter than r-band 17 mag, say. Most look white, or blue-white, in the SDSS image.

I'm pretty sure r-band mag 16.08 SDSS J140256.59+611417.3 is the host of the nice triple (contour overlay on order). If so, it's surely a QSO, but is not noted as such in NED, and there's no SDSS spectrum. Here's what it looks like, in SDSS:

enter image description here

If it turns out to be a QSO, it must surely be one of only a handful of bright QSOs, in the N sky, that haven't been cataloged as such yet, right? In the S sky, sure, to be expected, and also in the ZOA, of course.

If it turns out that the greenish galaxy to the W is the host, then that'd be pretty remarkable too, right?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Probably require an overlay and a spectrum of the blue source to be sure. However, I think that the radio jets are coming from a reddish galaxy south of the pair that you show above (mostly invisible in SDSS but visible in WISE). I am uncertain that the pair above (which appears to be the mildly resolved blob in WISE halfway up the northern lobe) is the host.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

I think that the radio jets are coming from a reddish galaxy south of the pair

Yep; it's a #triple, with host is zph 0.415±0.044 SDSS J140256.09+611359.1:

enter image description here enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

Posted